Anyone else do this?

Options
Hi I struggle to justify paying near enough £50 quid on a new game ie Fifa 14 so i tend to be a year behind and will buy Fifa 13 2nd hand from game (which is £6.99 at present) and will play that as there are plenty of people who still play that game online so I still get to create a decent ultimate team and get the joy of beating actual people on line but without spending a fortune.
Just wondering if other people stick with older versions a wee bit longer and if they maybe want to play =p

Comments

• DCFC79
    DCFC79 Posts: 40,598 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    I bet there are others who do that, I'd be tempted to do the same.
  • frugal_mike
    Options
    My friend and I play the PES games and we do exactly that. We're still playing PES 2012, and when they switch the online servers off at the end of this year we'll get PES 2013
  • Sparhawke
    Sparhawke Posts: 1,420 Forumite
    Options
    I agree with DCFC and Mike, every year brings out a new Fifa game but they are never new, simply rehashings with a couple of names added here and there as far as I can see.

Why pay £50+ for the same game every year?
    "Don't blink. Blink and you're dead. They are fast. Faster than you can believe. Don't turn your back. Don't look away. And don't blink. Good Luck" - The Doctor.
  • Weird_Nev
    Weird_Nev Posts: 1,383 Forumite
    Options
    The issue with a lot of games is that if you don't get on baord on day one, you get hammered, and the already steep learning curve becomes vertical. Try getting into Battlefield 6 months after everyone else has been playing it. You'll know the meaning of pain.

Developers of course pander to this mechanic, making sure people need to buy the game early and keep up to date with the DLC to keep the money rolling in.
  • DCFC79
    DCFC79 Posts: 40,598 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Sparhawke wrote: »
    I agree with DCFC and Mike, every year brings out a new Fifa game but they are never new, simply rehashings with a couple of names added here and there as far as I can see.

Why pay £50+ for the same game every year?

Thats why I'm contemplating not getting the new COD game as it will be just a reincarnation of the previous title, ok it might not be £50 but its not far off. Then the extra maps will be out in a few months at a cost of about £10.
  • want_to_save
    Options
    we dont rush to get new games purely because of the dlc and try to wait for a game of the year edition and then wait for it to drop - have spent far too much money in steam sales over the past couple of years that i have plenty of games keeping me busy :)
  • bluenoseam
    bluenoseam Posts: 4,612 Forumite
    Options
    I don't buy a new FIFA or Tiger Woods within 3 years of my previous purchase these days, it's just not worth it.
    Retired member - fed up with the general tone of the place.
  • gboom2000
    Options
    I'm not a FIFA fan, but if you play it regular and play it for the full 12 months to the next release, surely paying for the most recent version is worth it? You can pick it for under £40 easily, so it's only just over £3 a month.
  • Paully232000
    Options
    I dont play football games but I do this with tiger woods golf. I am at the minute playing tiger woods 12 the masters. i cant remember the price I paid but was less than £10 and in reality no different to a lot of the earlier ones and I assume no different to the newer ones.

When they bring out 15, I will have a look at how much 13 is and get that for I am sure less than £10.

Dont see the point in buying the latest one when the older one is just as good for 1/3 of the price.
  • darrensurrey
    Options
    I pay enough tax so I'll buy games 2nd hand. ;)

Or at least when they've dropped significantly. Paid £10 for Battlefield 3 brand new.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure