Replacing Lead Flashing on Roof - Fair Quote?

We've got water leaking through our extension roof, because the last owner sealed it to the main house wall with a strip of cement rather than using flashing. The cement is crumbling and letting in the rain.

The builder came out today and quoted £450 - £500 to remove the cement fillet and replace with lead flashing. Does this seem reasonable? The roof is a sloped, tiled one and I think it measures around 10' x 15'.

Thanks!

Kei

Comments

• sbanks
    sbanks Posts: 4 Newbie
    Thats way too much, it would cost around £35 in materials and take no more than 1 hour, I think about £ 200 would be more like it, Try ringing a roofer rather than just a builder.
  • plumb1_2
    plumb1_2 Posts: 4,395
    Photogenic Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Forumite
    sbanks wrote: »
    Thats way too much, it would cost around £35 in materials and take no more than 1 hour, I think about £ 200 would be more like it, Try ringing a roofer rather than just a builder.

Would you like to inform us of the price of a 6m roll of code4 lead please.

1hr=£165:eek:

Imo, it would take atleast half a day, knock off old cement, rake-out(grind) joint in brickwork, fit lead in the correct lenghts, point up brickwork, clean up.
    Get a couple of prices.
  • sbanks
    sbanks Posts: 4 Newbie
    plumb1 wrote: »
    Would you like to inform us of the price of a 6m roll of code4 lead please.
    Sure i pay £28.01 INC VATNot exactly making £165 though when you add up the time gathering materials , getting to the job. Plus all other costs that are factored into jobs such as fuel,insurances (not cheap for a roofer) , wear and tear on tools etc etc etc
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 342.5K Banking & Borrowing
  • 249.9K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.4K Spending & Discounts
  • 234.6K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 172.8K Life & Family
  • 247.4K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure