Confirmed blank charges refund - what next?

:beer:
Firstly, I put a thread on here about the dis-heartening nature of most of the responses you read. I'm going to buck the trend and report a success! :T

I claimed back bank charges from 2011 (way out side the six month window) citing financial difficulty. Yesterday I had a phone call from the Halifax saying they are willing to refund around £1200 worth of charges. They are also sending me a cheque for £50 as compensation for any distress caused. So I'm happy to report you can still succeed.

..... Now, I had confirmation in letter form that Halifax agreed they contributed to my financial hardship from 2008. The refund for charges was just for the period of time Halifax were aware I had entered into a DMP and didn't freeze the interest. The handler yesterday said he was aware that they had accepted responsibility for hardship from then but he wasn't willing to date his refund to that point. He said if I was unhappy with his decision I had to escalate it to the Ombudsman. It won't affect the refund already credited.

My question/frustration is that the two current accounts in question are defaulted credit agreements. Even with the refunds I am in no better a position as they will still have outstanding balances. If I push it to the Ombudsman and get my charges refunded from 2008, my accounts will be clear (which is what I originally hoped to achieve). Do you think the Ombudsman will be worth perusing? Or should I be grateful for my refund and close the door on it? :A

Comments

• dunstonh
    dunstonh Posts: 116,365 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    Do you think the Ombudsman will be worth perusing?

The FOS cannot force a bank to refund unless it is about incorrect application of charges. It can only encourage that your case is looked at fairly. You will find different views on what is fair. So, its impossible to really give any guide as you will get a spread of opinions from be happy with what you have to screw them for as much as you can get.
    I am an Independent Financial Adviser (IFA). The comments I make are just my opinion and are for discussion purposes only. They are not financial advice and you should not treat them as such. If you feel an area discussed may be relevant to you, then please seek advice from an Independent Financial Adviser local to you.
  • That's fair enough. I do have the fall back that the money refunded so far will remain refunded so I don't suppose there's anything to loose.

It's not really about screwing them, just that it would be nice if they applied consistency with the way they handle the complaints. I just think where they have held their hands up they should be willing to rectify my accounts from that date. I'm not really looking for the ombudsman to force them to refund the charges, but could they force them to apply the consistency with the refund dates? Ie - treating me fairly?

Thanks
  • dunstonh
    dunstonh Posts: 116,365 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    I'm not really looking for the ombudsman to force them to refund the charges, but could they force them to apply the consistency with the refund dates? Ie - treating me fairly?

No. Since the bank charges case was won by the banks, any refund given is a goodwill gesture. The FOS just make sure they have treated you fairly. Consistency is not fairness if they can justify why they are taking a different approach. If they cant, then maybe there is some scope there.
    I am an Independent Financial Adviser (IFA). The comments I make are just my opinion and are for discussion purposes only. They are not financial advice and you should not treat them as such. If you feel an area discussed may be relevant to you, then please seek advice from an Independent Financial Adviser local to you.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure