PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! In order to help keep the Forum a useful, safe and friendly place for our users, discussions around non-MoneySaving matters are not permitted per the Forum rules. While we understand that mentioning house prices may sometimes be relevant to a user's specific MoneySaving situation, we ask that you please avoid veering into broad, general debates about the market, the economy and politics, as these can unfortunately lead to abusive or hateful behaviour. Threads that are found to have derailed into wider discussions may be removed. Users who repeatedly disregard this may have their Forum account banned. Please also avoid posting personally identifiable information, including links to your own online property listing which may reveal your address. Thank you for your understanding.

bellway homes......

Options
Ive read lots of feedback and reviews on bellway homes alot of negative comments!! I would be really interested if anyone here has purchased from them and if they had good experience whether from the sales team and build etc. We are looking at buying a new build and the negative comments about bellway are really putting a downer in the idea. I understand new builds will never be as big asolder houses and u have the usual plasterboard etc but surely some peiple out there are happy or they wouldnt be selling!!
Look forward to your comments.....

Comments

• Your exactly the same as us, tbh the negative reviews have put us off buying from them plus when I had a 2nd closer look at one of their show homes there was a lot of shoddy workmanship going into the show home!
  • System
    System Posts: 178,103 Community Admin
    Photogenic Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    I was going to buy a Bellway home this time last year. However we pulled out because I then found out I was pregnant, and my maternity pay wouldn't have been enough to cover the mortgage. Although we didn't go through with it, it was still stressful. I assumed buying a new build would be fairly simple as no chain, but sadly it wasn't the case.

I've heard that David Wilson are much better to deal with. I prefer their homes too, although no idea on quality. To be honest I think all builders are using cheap materials now so you might be better off buying a home that's at least 10 years old.
  • whalster
    Options
    Reading a guardian online post last week you can see why .
    Here is a flavour ,it is in replies to an article on shortage of labour and bricks by the big builders .

There is a whole generation of lost trades and I am sorry to say the large multiple builders are reaping what they have sown !
    As a small builder at its height I was paying £450 per thousand bricks and £12 per met blocks at its low point I paid £350 bricks and 9 blocks .
    Yesterday I had a couple of brickies do me a little job who are still only getting £270 bricks and £7 blocks from one of the big builders .A comment that struck home though was that they bare seven years of scars where they in their words treated like sh....t sacked on a whim and paid £220 a thousand for good measure ,they are bitter and thousands of trades are the same and will not go work for the large house builders ,they took pleasure in telling me Bellway had asked them to come back this week and they took great pleasure in telling them to get f......d.and as far as getting 40k a yea they they deserve it its not like sat behind a desk scribbling article for a newspaper.
    Share this comment on Twitter
    Share this comment on Facebook

gbru2505 Anytimesoon
    18 September 2013 5:58pm

Recommend
    Excellent retort. Who really wants to work for British companies anymore? Tightest in the developed world. Want the state to train their staff, the police to kettle their strikers, and taxpayers to clean up after their pollution. What a bunch of greed ridden shirkers.
    Share this comment on Twitter
    Share this comment on Facebook
  • wymondham
    wymondham Posts: 6,354 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Photogenic Mortgage-free Glee!
    Options
    Your exactly the same as us, tbh the negative reviews have put us off buying from them plus when I had a 2nd closer look at one of their show homes there was a lot of shoddy workmanship going into the show home!

if the showhome is shoddy then that is a worry as this is a good as it gets??
  • iseemoto
    Options
    Currently living in a Bellway new-build flat (as a tenant), have to say that the workmanship is not ideal!
  • lord_tyrannus
    Options
    I think if your buying new build you have to go into it with your eyes open and expect there to be problems. Certainly new builds take a lot of flack because people seem to think that second hand homes were built in a golden age of house building when nothing went wrong

you will get snags and there will be problems. New build quality seems to vary from site to site so check the quality of the show home ie does it look like it's been done poorly and then patched up.

snagging.org is a great website to check out. As for bellway I currently rent a 6 year old bellway flat that to be honest is starting to fall apart but then the landlord isn't really interested in doing maintenance

ask yourself this do you love the property enough to go through the teething process
  • bylromarha
    bylromarha Posts: 10,085 Forumite
    I've been Money Tipped!
    Options
    Bought 2 new houses in my life.

First was Bellway - they mucked us around, house had snagging which we had to bug them to sort and generally not pleasant.

The 2nd was from wates. A far better experience - helpful with snagging, quick responses during purchase, sales office still helpful with after care.

Will never buy Bellway again.
    Who made hogs and dogs and frogs?
  • makeyourdaddyproud
    Options
    I would opt for a solidly built, rickety and eccentric Victorian home and put your stamp on it.

Real floorboards, high ceilings, chimney stack log burner and solid walls wins my vote.

Not being able to include a wardrobe, dresser, king size bed and single chair in the main bedroom turns me off completely. I doubt you could do that in any 3 bed semi Bellway home.
  • amandathepanda
    Options
    We bought a bellway home 2 months ago and expected to have snagging problems. We have had problems, scratched windows, and the quality of the painting throughout the house was absolutely awful. To be fair to bellway they are replacing the windows and he whole house is being repainted. Overall I love my new house.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.7K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.3K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 450K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.9K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 609K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.3K Life & Family
  • 248.5K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure