DRO filling out income/expenditure question.

Options
I have been getting help from a debt charity, they have advised me a DRO may be my best bet.

I am unemployed but a full time housewife, my husband works but he does not know about my debts and I want it to stay like that.

It is very difficult to know what to put down on the income expenditure forms, because I have no income whatsoever.

My husband pays all the bills and does food shopping, all the benefits for the kids go to him.

I do not need to spend any money anymore, I am happy taking the kids to school and doing house work.

My debts are a couple of years old now and the nasty letters are threatening baliffs calling and also threatening CCJ's and all sorts. I do not want the hassel of applying for a DRO, if I just wait they will all be washed away on the 6 year anniverasry right? But if they do take me to court and CCJ aganst me then I may have to for a DRO just before the court date?

I know I have a right to say I do not want my husband finding out and any contact with family would be considered grounds for legal case against them.

But how shall I fill out income and all?

Comments

• National_Debtline
    National_Debtline Posts: 7,998 Organisation Representative
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Hi there

Glad to hear you have sought free advice.

If you apply for a DRO, you would have to give details of ALL household income and expenditure. This is so that those handling your application can work out your personal proportion of household income, and therefore your proportion of any money left over after bills have been paid. Even if your share is 0%.

If, on the other hand, you choose to just negotiate "informally" with creditors, it i up to you how you present the budget. You could just enter £nil income and £nil expenditure and explain in a covering letter that your husband is the sole breadwinner and bill payer.

Regards

Dennis @NDL
    We work as money advisers for National Debtline and have specific permission from MSE to post to try to help those in debt. Read more information on National Debtline in MSE's Debt Problems: What to do and where to get help guide. If you find you're struggling with debt and need further help try our online advice tool My Money Steps
  • wba31
    wba31 Posts: 2,189 Forumite
    Options
    Hi there

Glad to hear you have sought free advice.

If you apply for a DRO, you would have to give details of ALL household income and expenditure. This is so that those handling your application can work out your personal proportion of household income, and therefore your proportion of any money left over after bills have been paid. Even if your share is 0%.

If, on the other hand, you choose to just negotiate "informally" with creditors, it i up to you how you present the budget. You could just enter £nil income and £nil expenditure and explain in a covering letter that your husband is the sole breadwinner and bill payer.

Regards

Dennis @NDL

no you dont.

If your income is £0 list £0
    If your expenditure is £0 list £0

surplus is less than £50

DRO
  • M.Johnson_2
    Options
    It depends if someone chooses to do a DRO as a couple or as a single person. If you do jointly you say your partners income/expenses. If you do single you should put half of all household bills expenses?
  • fatbelly
    fatbelly Posts: 20,504 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Cashback Cashier
    Options
    All DROs are done as individuals.

When it comes to the income/expenditure part, WBA's view is correct, even though 'half the joint' applications are still likely to go through unchallenged.
  • M.Johnson_2
    Options
    fatbelly wrote: »
    All DROs are done as individuals.

When it comes to the income/expenditure part, WBA's view is correct, even though 'half the joint' applications are still likely to go through unchallenged.

Is it possible for a couple to do a joint DRo if they both have debts under total £15K?

Or if they each have debts more than £15K each they could each do a DRO and right off £30K worth of debt?
  • fatbelly
    fatbelly Posts: 20,504 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Cashback Cashier
    Options
    M.Johnson wrote: »
    Is it possible for a couple to do a joint DRo if they both have debts under total £15K?

Or if they each have debts more than £15K each they could each do a DRO and right off £30K worth of debt?

It is OK for a couple to do two DROs if they both have debts under £15k each. Fees £90 x 2.

If they each have debts more than £15K then you would be looking at two bankruptcies and fees of £1400 potentially.

All debts must be included in a DRO - you can't just reduce your debt balance by 15k
  • National_Debtline
    National_Debtline Posts: 7,998 Organisation Representative
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    edited 7 October 2013 at 1:37PM
    Options
    Hi again

Oops, genuine mistake on my part - should have checked my facts with our DRO department before posting, they would have put me right.

I am happy to confirm that in line with other authorised DRO intermediaries, in the case above we would happily accept a budget showing £nil income and £nil expenditure.

Apologies for any confusion caused and time taken to post this (I have been away).

Dennis @NDL
    We work as money advisers for National Debtline and have specific permission from MSE to post to try to help those in debt. Read more information on National Debtline in MSE's Debt Problems: What to do and where to get help guide. If you find you're struggling with debt and need further help try our online advice tool My Money Steps
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure