Sun Holidays Autumn - Anyone upgraded with Park Resorts??

Options
Hello

New here!

Have booked a Sun £9.50 3 night break at end of half term to Park Resorts Romney Sands - standard or "bronze" caravan as that was the only option.

I have two children, the youngest being two and really need some heating in the bedrooms. Called Park Resorts who want £90 to upgrade to a caravan with heating, taking the total to over the advertised price on their website - something we can't really afford as it's supposed to be a cheap break!

Has anyone upgraded with them before?? Is it worth it? Should I borrow some electric heaters and take them or is that dangerous in a caravan?!

Looking around online I have found some references to people upgrading on arrival and paying much less - anyone done that?

Thanks for any advice!!

Comments

• artichoke
    artichoke Posts: 1,724 Forumite
    edited 20 September 2013 at 4:56PM
    Options
    we always take electric fan heaters - they are fine if you only have them on when you are in the van - i use them to warm up the bedrooms for 15 minutes before bed and then turn them off until morning.

You need to turn them off when you put the kettle on or it trips...

also we take sleeping bags to put under the duvets... to keep the kids snug at night

and slippers as the floors are cold.. fleece blankets to snuggle up on the sofa in the morning.

The vans soon warm up with the electric fan heaters / living room gas fire.

I find the bathroom the coldest room so don't hang around long in there and tend to shower each day after swimming instead :)

art
  • booksy
    Options
    Thanks great advice! Am complaining to Park Resorts about cost of upgrades anyway as a matter of principle!
  • artichoke
    artichoke Posts: 1,724 Forumite
    Options
    we have only been to Haven not park resorts but on out of season breaks eg oct half term and easter we have often been ugraded anyway even though i never pay for an upgrade.

but we always take the heater, sleeping bags just in case..

art
  • deanos
    deanos Posts: 11,223 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Uniform Washer
    Options
    booksy wrote: »
    Thanks great advice! Am complaining to Park Resorts about cost of upgrades anyway as a matter of principle!

why complain ?

you should have checked there website first, Sun holidays can work out more expensive than going direct as you have found out.

If the upgrade is just heating in the bedrooms its not worth it as they are just fan heaters / panel heaters, if the upgrade is central heating and double glazing then its well worth it in the cold parts of the year
  • ThumbRemote
    Options
    Just take a fan heater and leave it in the hall by the bedrooms, with the bedroom doors open.

Alternatively leave a gas ring to heat up the caravan before bed, and one reasonably low overnight. Again, leave the doors open or ajar, and it keeps quite warm enough. With a two year old use the gas rings rather than the fire, as there's unlikely to be any fireguard.
  • Firevixen
    Options
    Take some fan heaters as others have suggested, and don't complain just yet. You might be pleasantly surprised when you get there.

I have been on 5 sun holidays now, and on 4 of them we have been given a caravan with central heating despite not upgrading.

I say plan for the worst and hope for the best :)

:beer:
  • good_advice
    Options
    Hiya, Just come back from a 7 day holiday at Romney sands.
    We had a gold plus caravan this time with the CH but we did not use it. The electric fire in the sitting room area was quite enough.

I have also stayed in a Bronze caravan at Park Resorts and been quite happy. I would recomend you bring exta blankets for the beds as the provided quilts are thin.
    I found leaving the doors ajar sent enough heat into the bedrooms.
    The secret to success is making very small, yet constant changes.:)
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.4K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.8K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.5K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.4K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.2K Life & Family
  • 248.1K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure