🗳️ ELECTION 2024: THE MSE LEADERS' DEBATE Got a burning question you want us to ask the party leaders ahead of the general election? Post them on our dedicated Forum board where you can see and upvote other users' questions, or submit your suggestions via this form. Please note that the Forum's rules on avoiding general political discussion still apply across all boards.

Real-life MMD: Should I go without for the sake of my live-in tenant?

Options
124»

Comments

• SkintBee
    Options
    I was caught in this situation, waiting for my lodger to get his benefits. I felt I couldn't make him homeless and we made do - sharing meals etc - he did have an allotment which helped. I redid his CV, printed copies at work and did all I could to help him. He finally got a job and started to pay off the arrears and then moved out and left me high and dry and over £400 down.
    Help your lodger but make sure you have everything in writting so that you don't get caught out like me
  • vickyabo
    Options
    I've been through this exact thing.
    My lodger (unofficial) lost her job but after discussion with housing benefit was eventuly informed she didn't have to have an official contract for housing benefit to pay me as her landlord. As long as she's not a relative.
    She and I had to fill in a firm which detailed how much she paid for rent and extras. They eventuly agreed to pay about £20 less than I charged her for rent, which I was happy with.
    I do have to say; a good lodger is worth holding on to, who knows what you'd end up with if you replaced her over this.

:-)
  • Angel_Rachie
    Options
    As the others have said it all depends how reliable a tenant she has been. If you feel you can trust her them maybe agree to lower the rent for 6 weeks and then review it at that point. Also encourage him/her to make sure they are applying for all the benefits they are entitled to while they are out of work.
    No More Buying Books: read 0/25; Bought: 0
    May Make £5 a Day Challenge £003.21/£150.00
  • JayD
    JayD Posts: 703 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    Why on earth would you not have a contract/rent book? Unless you are doing some under the counter renting out ...
    In any event, I think you will find that you need less rent rather than no rent so could maybe compromise with a time limit on the lowered rent - after which she pays the full rent plus a small amount towards the arrears, or else gets notice. But at least put that much in writing!
  • Ebenezer_Screwj
    Options
    Tell her to move out if she can't afford to pay. You said it yourself - unless you really do want to subsidise her, in which case why pose the question?
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 10 Election 2024: The MSE Leaders' Debate
  • 343.9K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.3K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 450K Spending & Discounts
  • 236K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 609.3K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.4K Life & Family
  • 248.7K Travel & Transport