Cutting a hole in a glass vase it is doable?

in Crafting
3 replies 994 views
mazy_mmazy_m Forumite
661 Posts
Part of the Furniture Combo Breaker
Forumite
Hi all,

So stupidly when I brought some hanging glass vases to put tealights in I forgot to check whether or not it had a hole in it I think as I was looking at so many I was confusing these ones with ones I had looked at.

This is a picture of the vase
artistic-hanging-glass-vase_pslclk1338436146984.jpg

Does anyone have any suggestions as to how best to cut a hole which allows me to be able to place a tealight inside it?

I was thinking getting a glass cutter and slowly slicing it and pushing it out. The glass is very thin.

My boyfriend suggested a mini blow torch.

There's two little holes where the flowers are am I best to try and begin a hole from here etc?

Any suggestions welcome as I have no ideas where to start.

Thanks in advance.

Also does anyone know any good online stores for craft goods that offer good deals etc ( being MSE and all!) i'm finding ordering so many bits from so many different places on ebay is costing me more in postage in some instances that the goods!!

Thanks again

Maz
A lot of fellows nowadays have a B.A., M.D., or Ph.D. Unfortunately, they don't have a J.O.B."

Replies

• Ms_ChocaholicMs_Chocaholic Forumite
    12.4K Posts
    Part of the Furniture 10,000 Posts Name Dropper
    Forumite
    I don't know the answer to your question .... but could you pour in melted candle wax, with a wick rather than trying to get a whole tealight in there
    Thrifty Till 50 Then Spend Till the End
    You can please some of the people some of the time, all of the people some of the time, some of the people all of the time but you can never please all of the people all of the time
  • MojisolaMojisola Forumite
    35.3K Posts
    Part of the Furniture 10,000 Posts Name Dropper
    Forumite
    Even if you managed to cut a larger hole without breaking the vase, I don't think it would survive the first tealight. There's nowhere for the heat to go and I would expect the neck to shatter.
  • mazy_mmazy_m Forumite
    661 Posts
    Part of the Furniture Combo Breaker
    Forumite
    hi sorry I thought i'd replied back. Thanks for the replies. Yes I'd thought it that i'm going to be using the fake tealight candles they don't run out quickly but I didn't even think about heat and glass not mixing well!!
    A lot of fellows nowadays have a B.A., M.D., or Ph.D. Unfortunately, they don't have a J.O.B."
This discussion has been closed.
Latest MSE News and Guides

Did you know there's an MSE app?

It's free & available on iOS & Android

MSE App

Regifting: good idea or not?

Add your two cents to the discussion

MSE Forum

Energy Price Guarantee calculator

How much you'll likely pay from April

MSE Tools