We'd like to remind Forumites to please avoid political debate on the Forum. This is to keep it a safe and useful space for MoneySaving discussions. Threads that are - or become - political in nature may be removed in line with the Forum’s rules. Thank you for your understanding.

Commuting with Clipless Pedals.

Options

Comments

• thescouselander
    Options
    It won't take long for clipping in and out to become second nature and before long you won't even need to think about it. Just a little tip from my experiance - make sure you keep the clip mechanism on the pedals lubed or it can go stiff making it difficult to unclip. I just give mine a quick spray with GT85 occasionally. Also make sure the bolts for the cleat on your shoes are nice and tight. If these get loose you might find you can't unclip at all and I find they do tend to get a bit loose as the cleat beds into the shoe.
  • Marco_Panettone
    Options
    Oh, and only idiots ride with worn cleats. The one you clip in/out the most (whichever foot you put down at lights) will wear out a lot faster until you struggle to either clip in properly, or out properly.

One of these will probably have you hitting the deck, probably in front of traffic.
    It's only numbers.
  • stevemcol
    stevemcol Posts: 1,666 Forumite
    Options
    Weird_Nev wrote: »
    It's a vital skill! I'm not even joking, it's a really important skill to be able to bring a bike to a halt and balance for a short time without putting a foot down.

Not disputing it's a vital skill but it still looks ridiculous at traffic lights (unless done perfectly and I've never seen that), not 'cool'.
    Apparently I'm 10 years old on MSE. Happy birthday to me...etc
  • Tish_P
    Tish_P Posts: 812 Forumite
    Options
    A friend of mine broke his leg spectacularly on his first ride with cleats. I've never dared try them.
  • custardy
    custardy Posts: 38,365 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    Tish_P wrote: »
    A friend of mine broke his leg spectacularly on his first ride with cleats. I've never dared try them.

must have had the tension screws in tight ;)
  • Strider590
    Strider590 Posts: 11,874 Forumite
    Options
    I've used SPDs for over 10 years, I now struggle to ride without them.
    “I may not agree with you, but I will defend to the death your right to make an a** of yourself.”

<><><><><><><><><<><><><><><><><><><><><><> Don't forget to like and subscribe \/ \/ \/
  • armyknife
    Options
    Tish_P wrote: »

I too am capable of similar spectacular clumsiness, hence I would use them.
  • Redvee
    Redvee Posts: 140 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    A friend who's ridden flat pedals on various bikes over the years bought himself a fairly decent bike and went clipless and asked my advice as I've been riding SPDs for 20 years. The first words I told him were prepare to fall over whilst clipped in, I did it within 5 minutes of starting out on clipless pedals. It took a week for me to witness him topple over :)
  • [Deleted User]
    Options
    Dont even dream about using them to commute, you are in enough danger without needlessly adding another one. I ve done some hilarious looking and painful falls with my clipless and would only use them on a non stop 30 miler on the country roads. In constant stop start traffic they are not a good idea and not designed for that sort of use. Its not as if they add much to the pedaling action, you are not in the Tour de France, keep it simple with flat pedals
  • custardy
    custardy Posts: 38,365 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    sacsquacco wrote: »
    Dont even dream about using them to commute, you are in enough danger without needlessly adding another one. I ve done some hilarious looking and painful falls with my clipless and would only use them on a non stop 30 miler on the country roads. In constant stop start traffic they are not a good idea and not designed for that sort of use. Its not as if they add much to the pedaling action, you are not in the Tour de France, keep it simple with flat pedals

Use them all the time
    no issues(well with the pedals)
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 12 Election 2024: The MSE Leaders' Debate
  • 344.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.4K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 450.1K Spending & Discounts
  • 236.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 609.7K Mortgages, Homes & Bills