is it worth my while to stooze

hello i have been i regular viewer on this site but this is my first post i have recently become very money wise mainly thanks to this site ,opening new accounts and switching existing ones to earn more money, my question is i have a mortgage with a good rate of 1%(luck i know) i can borrow back on this mortgage at the same rate, is it worth my while to do this and open a santander acount and recieve the 3% interest on offer.

Replies

• CornucopiaCornucopia Forumite
    15.9K Posts
    Tenth Anniversary 10,000 Posts Name Dropper Photogenic
    Forumite
    You're not going to get rich doing this - the maximum deposit is £20k, which before tax equates to about £33pm at your SNR (Stooze Net Rate).

Only you can decide whether the reward is worth the effort.
    ex Board Guide

• thanks, ill look into in ,my mortgage happens to be with santander as well do you thing they would catch on and do any thing about it i could also get the mortgage cash back as well which would be another few pounds
  • CornucopiaCornucopia Forumite
    15.9K Posts
    Tenth Anniversary 10,000 Posts Name Dropper Photogenic
    Forumite
    I doubt that they'd notice. You could check the mortgage ts &cs, though.
    ex Board Guide

• sickersicker Forumite
    1.4K Posts
    Is it worth the hassel?
    Do you not alraedy get 1% cash back on the 123 current account.

Cashback - on household bills paid by Direct Debits:

• 1% cashback on water, council tax bills and Santander mortgage payments (up to maximum monthly mortgage payments of £1,000)
  • I have not got my mortgage coming out of a santander account at the minute ,if myself and my wife both opened a 123 and I borrowed back 40000 we would have close to 600 pound a year in interest, just wondering is it as simple as borrow for the low rate and save at the higher rate.
  • YorkshireBoyYorkshireBoy Forumite
    31.5K Posts
    Part of the Furniture 10,000 Posts Name Dropper
    Forumite
    flynnf wrote: »
    I have not got my mortgage coming out of a santander account at the minute ,if myself and my wife both opened a 123 and I borrowed back 40000 we would have close to 600 pound a year in interest, just wondering is it as simple as borrow for the low rate and save at the higher rate.
    You'll make £547.20 per year in pure interest terms. That's £40,000 x 2.96% x 0.8 on the savings less £400 on the cash drawn down...assuming you're both BR tax payers. There's obviously a further tax liability if one or both of you are higher rate tax payers.

Plus a bit on cashback.

Less a bit of interest on monthly savings you could have made if you weren't making increased mortgage payments (if they adjust immediately rather than once per year?).
  • Thanks for the info. What do you mean 400 pounds on the cash drawdown.
  • YorkshireBoyYorkshireBoy Forumite
    31.5K Posts
    Part of the Furniture 10,000 Posts Name Dropper
    Forumite
    flynnf wrote: »
    What do you mean 400 pounds on the cash drawdown.
    The cost of borrowing back from the mortgage is 1%.

1% of your proposed £40K is £400.
  • vnsvns Forumite
    183 Posts
    Personally, I would do it in a heartbeat

So long as:
    1) you can manage it properly
    2) Your mortgage T&C's don't have an early repayment clause
    3) Ear mark that money as "not yours" so that you're not tempted to go and spend it...
  • vnsvns Forumite
    183 Posts
    Also, Santander 123 accounts offer 1% Cashback on Santander Direct Debit mortgage payments. (on the first £1000pm)

That's an extra £10pm there.
This discussion has been closed.
Latest MSE News and Guides

Ask An Expert: Rewind

Check out last week's energy-themed Q&A with MSE's experts

MSE Forum

Top theatre lotteries

How to grab £10-£25 tix for Cabaret, Matilda etc

MSE Deals