All o2 email accounts are being closed.

Options
First o2 sell off home phone and broadband services to Sky.
Second Telefonica sell o2 Ireland to Three.

NOW
they are sending out this email
Your o2.co.uk email is closing
You know your o2.co.uk email account? We're sorry to tell you we're shutting it down.
Why?
We used to give all our customers a free o2.co.uk email account. Some people used it, but lots didn't - preferring to use other email services like Gmail, Hotmail and Yahoo!, instead. So, from 1 November 2013, all o2.co.uk email accounts will be closed. You won't be able to send or receive email using <snip> after this date.
What about all my emails and contacts?
It's easy to transfer your contacts and their email addresses to another account. Transferring your emails is simple too. Our O2 Gurus can show you how at www.o2.co.uk/o2email. Just make sure you move them before your o2.co.uk email account closes on 1 November.
Likewise, if you use your o2.co.uk email address as your log-in for any online services like banking or shopping, you'll need to update those too.
Some customers manage their O2 account from their o2.co.uk email address. If you do too, take a look at www.o2.co.uk/myo2 where you can see your balance, check your bill and get the low down on your account any time you like with My O2.
We'll be in touch again before 1 November, just to remind you of what's happening. Until then, we hope this won't cause too much inconvenience.
All the best
The O2 Team

Comments

• penrhyn
    penrhyn Posts: 15,215 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Sky offered email accounts for life, but when the provider changed from Google to Yahoo that finished.
    A timely reminder not to use an ISP specific email account.
    That gum you like is coming back in style.
  • earthstorm
    earthstorm Posts: 2,134 Forumite
    Options
    penrhyn wrote: »
    Sky offered email accounts for life, but when the provider changed from Google to Yahoo that finished.
    A timely reminder not to use an ISP specific email account.
    never really used my o2 email for a while now as even with filters it gets spammed.
    when i moved from o2 BB to Sky BB i was given a sky email, never set it up as with me being in the hosting business i use emails associated with my domains. i have a Yahoo email that i use if i sign up for anything, so if spammers what to spam that they can
  • AlecEiffel
    Options
    Excellent news. Been wanting rid of the spam attracting ("bored" local housewives apparently) waste of time since O2 kindly gave me it. HATE having accounts I don't use or even want.
  • Rabbir1
    Options
    Actually, not all email accounts!
    If you have O2 broadband (will be Sky), the email account will stay. However, the mail box capacity will reduce from 1 gig down to 20 meg.
    So not much use anyway!
  • earthstorm
    edited 8 September 2013 at 10:35AM
    Options
    Rabbir1 wrote: »
    Actually, not all email accounts!
    If you have O2 broadband (will be Sky), the email account will stay. However, the mail box capacity will reduce from 1 gig down to 20 meg.
    So not much use anyway!

no its all o2 email accounts, Sky will provide you with your own @sky email i had o2 BB that moved to Sky. I spoke to an o2 guru on live chat earlier regarding this.

if you read the email i got it also clearly states
    from 1 November 2013, all o2.co.uk email accounts will be closed.

I think next will be the sale of o2 UK by telefonica
  • NiftyDigits
    NiftyDigits Posts: 10,459 Forumite
    Options
    I've had an used O2 email for perhaps ten years and I can safely say that I've not received a single SPAM message in that time. Certainly not one that can remember.
    On the other hand, this year they wiped ten years of webmail away and can't retrieve it.
  • earthstorm
    Options
    I've had an used O2 email for perhaps ten years and I can safely say that I've not received a single SPAM message in that time. Certainly not one that can remember.
    On the other hand, this year they wiped ten years of webmail away and can't retrieve it.
    spam has increased these last 2 years and as i never give the email out as never use it then it seems to be a favorite with spambots, even using the filters they still get through
  • Uxb
    Uxb Posts: 1,340 Forumite
    Options
    Lessons as often repeated on here are:

1. Do not use you own ISP's email account(s). It makes it more difficult to move ISP's. Mostly ISP's regard email facilities as a free add on to the account rather than as their core business. Bit like when they used to provide webspace eh?

2. Do not expect "free" email accounts from providers to remain either free or in existance for ever.

3. Consider buying your own domain name and use that as your email address to make it easier to move both ISP and email provider.

3. Take the precaution of using an email client to download and store your cloud stored emails onto your computer to guard against the webmail account loosing your data. Remember when a well known ISP lost all emails stored on their servers in I think 2006?

4. Please go ahead and use the free providors such as Hotmail, Gmail if you don't mind your emails being scanned and you being bombarded with adverts. After all nothing is free and surprise surprise these email servers and the spam/virus protections do cost them money to run.

5. However if you want business grade highly secure access web and client email facilities along with guaranteed availability & backups whatever accept the fact that you are going to have to pay for it.
  • earthstorm
    Options
    Uxb wrote: »
    Lessons as often repeated on here are:

1. Do not use you own ISP's email account(s). It makes it more difficult to move ISP's. Mostly ISP's regard email facilities as a free add on to the account rather than as their core business. Bit like when they used to provide webspace eh?

2. Do not expect "free" email accounts from providers to remain either free or in existance for ever.

3. Consider buying your own domain name and use that as your email address to make it easier to move both ISP and email provider.

3. Take the precaution of using an email client to download and store your cloud stored emails onto your computer to guard against the webmail account loosing your data. Remember when a well known ISP lost all emails stored on their servers in I think 2006?

4. Please go ahead and use the free providors such as Hotmail, Gmail if you don't mind your emails being scanned and you being bombarded with adverts. After all nothing is free and surprise surprise these email servers and the spam/virus protections do cost them money to run.

5. However if you want business grade highly secure access web and client email facilities along with guaranteed availability & backups whatever accept the fact that you are going to have to pay for it.
    I agree.

i hate it when i see businesses advertising their .co.uk or .com website but give a gmail or hotmail email address, to me looks unprofessional, why not just use a .co.uk or .com email linked to their website
  • NiftyDigits
    NiftyDigits Posts: 10,459 Forumite
    Options
    I have multiple accounts and certainly don't depend on any single provider, but I have to say that with O2 I received no SPAM and no advertisements, so I can't and won't complain. These things happen.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure