Garden gate quote - is this reasonable?

Options
Got a quote to fit a garden gate.

I am buying nearly all materials (gate/bolts/lock/hinges) and gate posts are already fitted.

Quote to fit and supply screws is £130.

Is this reasonable?

To be fair, the total cost would be about that same as all other quotes I have had where I would be supplying nothing. But £130 just to fit it all seems a bit excessive, but I may be out of touch.

Thanks!

Comments

• Idiophreak
    Idiophreak Posts: 12,024 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    Got a quote to fit a garden gate.

I am buying nearly all materials (gate/bolts/lock/hinges) and gate posts are already fitted.

Quote to fit and supply screws is £130.

Is this reasonable?

To be fair, the total cost would be about that same as all other quotes I have had where I would be supplying nothing. But £130 just to fit it all seems a bit excessive, but I may be out of touch.

Thanks!

So it's £130 just to screw the gate to the gate post via the hinges, stick the lock on and supply a couple of screws?

Sounds steep to me.
  • [Deleted User]
    Options
    Idiophreak wrote: »
    So it's £130 just to screw the gate to the gate post via the hinges, stick the lock on and supply a couple of screws?

Sounds steep to me.

That's what I thought - what do you think is reasonable because I was thinking about £60.

All the quotes I have had are about the same. The only difference with this one is that I can see exactly how much the materials are costing. So surely they are all quoting a bit too much? That's why I thought to ask here.
  • Idiophreak
    Idiophreak Posts: 12,024 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    That's what I thought - what do you think is reasonable because I was thinking about £60.

All the quotes I have had are about the same. The only difference with this one is that I can see exactly how much the materials are costing. So surely they are all quoting a bit too much? That's why I thought to ask here.

Unless I'm missing something, I'd have thought £60 is much closer to the money. It's going to take someone who knows what they're doing an hour or so to do...plus a couple of quid for some screws.

May be worth posting on myhammer and places like that if you're keen to get the quote down...although personal recommendation etc is always a better way of finding someone.
  • somethingcorporate
    Options
    How big is the gate? Have you tried a local "handyman" type person?

I agree, £130 sounds very steep!
    Thinking critically since 1996....
  • [Deleted User]
    Options
    How big is the gate? Have you tried a local "handyman" type person?

I agree, £130 sounds very steep!

Yep - all the people who quoted are local traders.

The gate is a normal one - 6 x 3 feet.
  • somethingcorporate
    Options
    I had a wooden archway built from scratch and fitted to my existing fence / gatepost for less than that. It sounds very expensive - continue to shop around! It'll be less than half a days work (more like an hour or two) to someone competent with a drill.
  • suisidevw
    suisidevw Posts: 2,256 Forumite
    Options
    Do it yourself for a fiver for the screws? Seriously, even if your half competent at DIY it's easy!
  • [Deleted User]
    Options
    It'll be less than half a days work (more like an hour or two) to someone competent with a drill.

Thanks for the advice - so what's the going rate for two hours, in the North?
  • [Deleted User]
    Options
    suisidevw wrote: »
    Do it yourself for a fiver for the screws? Seriously, even if your half competent at DIY it's easy!

I am considering it now - only reason I got quotes is because I don't have a drill, but for the cheapest quote, I could buy everything myself, including the drill and bits!

But money is tight and I don't fancy ruining a new gate with a new drill...will cost more in the long run.
  • somethingcorporate
    Options
    Thanks for the advice - so what's the going rate for two hours, in the North?

I live in a farming hamlet that is very friendly (moved in last month and made some great friends already).

Our local "handy-man" is a retired farmer that built our archway, installed all our fencing & gate etc is £10 an hour.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.4K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.8K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.5K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.3K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.2K Life & Family
  • 248.1K Travel & Transport