any electricians here

Hi, I wonder whether I could ask anyone`s advice please. I am sure the site isnt for questions like mine but this is such a great place for getting advice that I thought i may as well ask....

I live in an old, neglected small bunglaow...it is a housing association property that I rent (so you all know that I am poor!).....I havent been here long and the place had been sooo neglected....so much needed and still does need doing....

In my bathroom and hallway is a box (like the old box type light switches - but without the switch - a case) that has a strip of plastic casing running down from a hole in the ceiling (the loft)....they are unsightly (everything in this bungalow is exposed.....all of the water pipes, etc as there are concrete floors here).

I bravely turned the power supply off to unscrew the cover of one of the white boxes and there are wires that are obviously now obsolete and they have had plastic protectors on the end of them). Can i just add that i am a female who lives alone...Not a man being a woos....

I desperately want these hideous things off the wall (the HA will not do it by the way as they feel these boxes are sorted so to speak)......there are loads of things just left and boxed in where they have made updates to things....just left pipes sticking out that are no longer in use etc and obviously just cased in these unused wires......

Is it safe to remove the box and plastic casing running down the wall off and pull the wires up into the loft out of sight please.......I could ask my nephew to get up into the loft and do this for me........I truly cannot stand them on the wall any longer and cannot finish decorating until they are removed....

Sorry - just a bit scared of doing this!!!!

Many thanks

Comments

• first of all it's exactly the right place for your question
    you need to make sure these "boxes" are not live & the same with the cables, you will require a sparkie or at the very least someone who knows what they are doing with a multimeter, no one can tell you from this side of the keyboard if these boxes & cables are dead & no longer in use
    I'm only here while I wait for Corrie to start.

You get no BS from me & if I think you are wrong I WILL tell you.
  • Biggles
    Biggles Posts: 8,209 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Technically, you need your landlord's permission to remove them; for all you know they had a reason for leaving them there. In any event, it would be a big mistake to start making electrical adaptions to any rented property.

Paint over them and learn to love them.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport