PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! In order to help keep the Forum a useful, safe and friendly place for our users, discussions around non-MoneySaving matters are not permitted per the Forum rules. While we understand that mentioning house prices may sometimes be relevant to a user's specific MoneySaving situation, we ask that you please avoid veering into broad, general debates about the market, the economy and politics, as these can unfortunately lead to abusive or hateful behaviour. Threads that are found to have derailed into wider discussions may be removed. Users who repeatedly disregard this may have their Forum account banned. Please also avoid posting personally identifiable information, including links to your own online property listing which may reveal your address. Thank you for your understanding.

Buying before auction

Hi,

I've found a property I like with a guide price of £100,000. Are guide prices what they are currently valued at on the market or just a low figure to get people interested? I'm hoping to buy it before auction but don't want to be laughed out of the estate agents like.

All tips are welcome.

Comments

• bloolagoon
    bloolagoon Posts: 7,973 Forumite
    Most auctions I went to had reserves set at 20% over guide price.
    Tomorrow is the most important thing in life
  • eddddy
    eddddy Posts: 16,436 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper
    Hi,

I've found a property I like with a guide price of £100,000. Are guide prices what they are currently valued at on the market or just a low figure to get people interested? I'm hoping to buy it before auction but don't want to be laughed out of the estate agents like.

All tips are welcome.

Hi dave

Why do you want to buy before auction? Or more importantly, what would you say to convince the seller to accept your offer before the auction?

If you're simply hoping to pay less than it would go for at auction, I think the Auctioneer and seller will see through your plan pretty easily.
  • G_M
    G_M Posts: 51,977 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    Properties rarely got for guide price at auction.
  • eddddy wrote: »
    Hi dave

Why do you want to buy before auction? Or more importantly, what would you say to convince the seller to accept your offer before the auction?

If you're simply hoping to pay less than it would go for at auction, I think the Auctioneer and seller will see through your plan pretty easily.

Hi, Thanks for the reply. There's no real reason for buying before auction, It's just a property I really like and I think it has a lot of potential.

The house needs about 30k worth of work on it. It's not in a live able condition. Houses in the street sell for between £130k-£150k Both houses either side sold within the last 12 months. 1 at £145k & the other at £140k. They are both bigger. extensions, bigger gardens, garages to the rear etc.
  • Dan-Dan
    Dan-Dan Posts: 5,272 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    Hi, Thanks for the reply. There's no real reason for buying before auction, It's just a property I really like and I think it has a lot of potential.

The house needs about 30k worth of work on it. It's not in a live able condition. Houses in the street sell for between £130k-£150k Both houses either side sold within the last 12 months. 1 at £145k & the other at £140k. They are both bigger. extensions, bigger gardens, garages to the rear etc.

Pay the seller a tempting price to avoid auction process otherwise you'll just have to take your chances along with everybody else.

You can be sure if you know the potential then others will including the seller
    Never, under any circumstances, take a sleeping pill and a laxative on the same night.
  • martindow
    martindow Posts: 10,217 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary

Are you contemplating buying with cash? Houses which cannot be lived in, as they do not have functioning kitchens or bathrooms for instance, will not be mortgageable.
  • martindow wrote: »
    Are you contemplating buying with cash? Houses which cannot be lived in, as they do not have functioning kitchens or bathrooms for instance, will not be mortgageable.

I wasn't aware that was a problem, so thanks for giving me the heads up for the future.

It has a working bathroom and Kitchen but it only has a sink left there. All units have been taken out but it has a point to connect a cooker.
  • Dan-Dan
    If your buying with a mortgage you need to complete in 28 days as well i believe

Auctions are places for cash buyers really
    Never, under any circumstances, take a sleeping pill and a laxative on the same night.
  • Dogz111
    Dogz111 Posts: 73 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    You can easily complete a mortgage within 28 days. What you need to do is start the process prior to the auction, including getting a surveyor round to qualify the lend is happy to lend. You really need to be in a position of having a mortgage offer before you bid. Its a risky process but the rewards can be great. I'd check on mortgagability as I'm not sure a sink will qualify as a working kitchen
  • Dan-Dan
    Dogz111 wrote: »
    You can easily complete a mortgage within 28 days. What you need to do is start the process prior to the auction, including getting a surveyor round to qualify the lend is happy to lend. You really need to be in a position of having a mortgage offer before you bid. Its a risky process but the rewards can be great. I'd check on mortgagability as I'm not sure a sink will qualify as a working kitchen

Quite , but it takes a financial commitment up front to utilise a mortgage when buying at Auction,i dont think OP is fully aware of how auctions work judging by the posts and may not realise this
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure