FireWire card in Acer Veriton?

Options
I have got an Acer Veriton bought in about 2009/2010. I want to fit a FireWire card into it (if it's possible). I want to be able to transfer hi8 videos onto my computer.

Can anyone tell me if it is possible and which card I need to get?

Thank you.

Comments

• NiftyDigits
    NiftyDigits Posts: 10,459 Forumite
    Options
    How about this one for £7.69? Covers all bases.

Or with just FireWire ports for a fiver.

Which model number of Veriton?
  • Ettenna
    Ettenna Posts: 639 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    It is a Veriton X480G.

I can't figure out how to remove the metal blanking plates from the back to put a card in even if I get the right one!! Any ideas?
  • NiftyDigits
    Options
    So you need a differing card, as you only have PCI-e slots.

In addition, it may need to be a low profile card.

Both option more expensive than a standard card.

PCI-e card example

You need to remove the computer cover in order to remove the plates. Have you done so?
    Basic instructions here
  • Ettenna
    edited 2 September 2013 at 1:12AM
    Options
    I have removed the computer case cover and have got access to where the blanking plate are but they don't slip out. It almost looks as if you need to force them out or snap them off! But I fear that this will just bend the metal rather than actually snap them out.

Thank you so much for the ideas for cards - I am quite computer literate but when it come to the internals I am not confident at all.
  • NiftyDigits
    Options
    Since I don't have a machine to hand, I can only refer you to the user guide. It said something about a 'locking bracket'.
  • Ettenna
    Options
    I've ordered one of those PCIe cards and I'll have a closer look at the slot issue when it arrives :) Thank you.
  • Ettenna
    Options
    Well I've managed to get the blanking plate out, with a bit of brute force and ignorance :) The card fits in the slot on the motherboard fine but is about 1" too long to fit in the case!!! Got to send it back and try to get yet another one!!
  • NiftyDigits
    Options
    Ettenna wrote: »
    Well I've managed to get the blanking plate out, with a bit of brute force and ignorance :) The card fits in the slot on the motherboard fine but is about 1" too long to fit in the case!!! Got to send it back and try to get yet another one!!

As I suggested, a low profile PCI-E x1 should be suitable. But they cost a little more and you get a little less. :)
    Example here
  • Ettenna
    Options
    That serves me right for not reading posts properly!! Thank you. I'll get there eventually :)
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure