Delivery Driver Knocks Down Our Garden Wall

Options
Hi,
Would be grateful for any advice of on some general insurance principles please.

We've just had a delivery from a national hardware store (who shall remain nameless for the time being). Upon reversing into our driveway the delivery driver managed to knock down part of our wall to the front garden.

The driver was very pleasant, admitted fault and said his manager, followed by their insurance company would be in touch about getting it rebuilt.

My question is really can I say who I want to repair the wall or can their insurance company stipulate this?
Its not a big job, probably a brick layer for a day and 100 bricks or less. I've had experience with building repairs companies used by insurance companies before, which has not been good. I really just want to get it sorted by someone I trust as there are new plants and a pond very close by which could easily be damaged by someone who (potentially) doesn't really care.

I have no interest in making any money out of this, just wanted it sorted quickly and efficiently by someone I know will do a good job and am aware that some insurance matters can drag out.

So if anyone could let me know what the general principles are before I get a call from the insurance company and pushed into doing/ accepting something, it would be appreciated.

Many Thanks

Tim

Comments

• BookWorm
    BookWorm Posts: 2,465 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    Sorry to hear about your wall.

The insurance company may have preferred contractors but not always. However, if you really don't want to use them you don't have to. Tell them you want to use someone of your choosing and the reasons why (as you have done so here). They will want to see and approve a quote - but as long as the quote is reasonable (and they will check that) I can't see why they would not be open to you using someone you have experience with.

Hope you get it sorted out ok :)
  • frugalmacdugal
    frugalmacdugal Posts: 10,077 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post Photogenic First Anniversary
    Options
    Hi,

get two or three quotes in readiness, then the insurers will give you the go ahead.
  • rs65
    rs65 Posts: 5,682 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    timpal wrote: »

My question is really can I say who I want to repair the wall or can their insurance company stipulate this?

They can usually only stipulate to a policyholder how a claim is settled - under the contract of insurance. You are a third party so are just recovering losses.

Hopefully they will just settle by cheque. Get a couple of estimates from builders you trust and expect settlement at the cheapest. They will check the prices are appropriate and may come up with a cheaper option. No reason why you can't take that amount in settlement and use your own builder.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure