hows my business doing?

Options
After being made redundant is early June, I have started working for myself (as a tutor) and what started off being just a hobby is now providing my only source of income. Just wanted to run my finances pass someone to see how you think i'm doing and perhaps some guidance.

So a bit of a breakdown (month by month):

Income:
April – 12 hours of work and made £300
May – 46 hours of work and made £1100
June – 71 hours of work and made £1700
July – 73 hours of work and made £1500
August – 120 hours of work and made £2800...best month so far :)
Total so far – around £7500

Outgoings – minimum really...just fuel (no more than £40 per week) advertising cost (£40 a month) and I have probably spent £100 a books so far.

Comments

• AP007
    AP007 Posts: 7,109 Forumite
    Options
    YOU are running a business, so how do you think you are doing?

If you want to pay me I can let you know! :)
    We’ve had to remove your signature. Please check the Forum Rules if you’re unsure why it’s been removed and, if still unsure, email forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com
  • AP007
    AP007 Posts: 7,109 Forumite
    Options
    Outgoings – minimum really...just fuel (no more than £40 per week) advertising cost (£40 a month) and I have probably spent £100 a books so far.
    Probably? Or you know the figure? Aren't you keeping a cashbook or ledger or something?

What about TAX AND NI what provision are you making? Any?
    We’ve had to remove your signature. Please check the Forum Rules if you’re unsure why it’s been removed and, if still unsure, email forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com
  • googler
    googler Posts: 16,103 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    edited 31 August 2013 at 2:48PM
    Options
    Registered with HMRC as self-employed?

Kept accounts?

Where do you tutor? In your home? Does your home insurance cover its use for business purposes, such as including public liability should an accident befall a client?

Etc etc
  • paddyrg
    paddyrg Posts: 13,543 Forumite
    Options
    Sounds reasonable enough - some months will be fatter than others, and if you can work out a model where you can get extra work in those lean months, you've got a viable business. Look at add-on services, for instance selling past papers, good extra books, cash commissions if kids get any of their friends to sign up, etc.
  • jacques_chirac
    Options
    Are you still in Perth or back in the UK?
  • nimbo
    nimbo Posts: 3,698 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    do you need PLI if you are in the homes of others - we had it for about £50 a year - but it was a different type of business (market stall)....

worth looking into though to make sure you are covered if needed to be...

Stashbuster - 2014 98/100 - 2015 175/200 - 2016 501 / 500 2017 - 200 / 500 2018 3 / 500
    :T:T
  • persa
    persa Posts: 735 Forumite
    Options
    You really should have a business plan, which includes financial projections. If not... Never too late to get into the habit. Compare your actual results to your budgeted ones.

Your projections should factor in the seasonality of your work. When you compare actual to budgeted, you should identify any discrepancies and analyse why - were your assumptions wrong? Or has a competitor stolen a chunk of your client base? Etc.
  • arbroath_lass
    Options
    Are you still in Perth or back in the UK?

???

The referendum is next year.
  • emsywoo123
    emsywoo123 Posts: 5,440 Forumite
    Options
    ???

The referendum is next year.

Perth Australia?
  • Naf
    Naf Posts: 3,160 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    All I would say is watch your bottom line; the more hours you're working the less you're making per hour (going on your figures). Which is fine as far as (I presume) discounting block bookings and the like. But you need to know how low you can't go below.
    My in-laws run a B&B, and for a while would let rooms at £15-£20 per night after negotiating multiple rooms/nights. Then they did their costings & realised that £25 was cost-price. Your costings won't be so simple, but make sure you have them.
    If £20 per hour was your bottom line, for example, then in July you did lots of work for essentially no money.
    Never argue with stupid people, they will drag you down to their level and then beat you with experience.
    - Mark Twain
    Arguing with idiots is like playing chess with a pigeon: no matter how good you are at chess, its just going to knock over the pieces and strut around like its victorious.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure