Smoking policy?

Just wondering if anyone involved in small businesses has implemented a smoking break policy?

I know it's a thorny issue to retrospectively come up with a fair policy given at the moment people just go out to smoke as they wish. In the past, smokers tended to make this very brief, but lately it's becoming more of a social gathering and a chance to check facebook.

It's causing friction with non-smokers.

Have you just put a time limit (eg 5 mins every 3 hours) or insisted that any smoking time is taken out of a lunch break? Or let all staff take a break for whatever purpose of a certain length - in addition to any statutory requirement?

thanks

Comments

• paddyrg
    paddyrg Posts: 13,543 Forumite
    I guess it'll vary depending on industry. I know in some software design offices, time away from the computer is seen as a good thing, with pool tables and coffee areas so you can think and design whilst your brain relaxes and does its best work! Also, information flow across departments, or batting an idea around can come up with excellent novel solutions. For cafe waiting staff, less flexibility is in order - their work must never suffer.

Perhaps this is a question where you can save some grief over winter - as it gets colder, if you move the smoking area further from comfort, I'll bet smoking breaks will get a lot shorter and you can use that time to ask the staff to come up with what they think is fair/required. Being bitterly cold I bet they'll be thinking shorter is ok, and so you'll have their own policies to hold them to...
  • Savvy_Sue
    Savvy_Sue Posts: 45,936
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Forumite
    I worked somewhere which allowed 5 minute smoking breaks, one in am and one in pm, but it was always made clear that anyone could take a fresh air break on the same terms if desired.

Do you think it's one person has started to take the p and others have followed? If so a quiet word might be in order.
    Signature removed for peace of mind
  • mishelly
    mishelly Posts: 123
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Forumite
    You could always consider introducing a break (one in am and one pm as suggested by Sue) but call it a refreshment break. Those who don't smoke can go make a cup of tea/go for fresh air/check facebook :) and those who do can have their cig then. If they are quick they will have time to make a brew too, the time limit may distract from the procrastination.
    One day, i will be a genius.
    One day, they will perfect brain transplantation.
  • The last three places I have worked are completely smoke free. If you wanted a fag break, you did so at lunch, off site, across the road. One place had a gradual introduction, where smoking dens were culled over a three month period, and the last one was demolished panel by panel, until in October, there was barely nothing left of it. Then the ban started.

Every smoker huffed and puffed at the start, but now, most have seen the benefits of the policy.
  • Brassedoff
    Brassedoff Posts: 1,217 Forumite
    Don't introduce a smoking policy, you'll regret it. You give smokers a 5 minute break over and above the statutory breaks and everyone else will say they are entitled to one, or complain that smokers don't pull their weight.

Tell them they cannot smoke on the premises and when not on breaks, your insurance policy will most likely void it anyway.
  • robatwork
    robatwork Posts: 7,086
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Post First Anniversary
    Forumite
    Thanks for all the ideas....will discuss and open it up to all the staff on how to equitably deal with this.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 342.5K Banking & Borrowing
  • 249.9K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.4K Spending & Discounts
  • 234.6K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 172.8K Life & Family
  • 247.4K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure