We've changed the name of this board from 'Greenfingered MoneySaving' to simply 'Gardening'. This is to help make it easier to find for the horticulturally inclined. The URL remains unchanged for the time being, so all links to the board are unaffected.

Water butt

Options
iashem
iashem Posts: 171 Forumite
Im not sure if this has been asked before, looking at my water bill it costs £3 per cubic meter of water including sewerage so i would need to fill a 200 litre water butt 5 times to save 1 cubic meter of water, looking around it costs at least £35 for butt and stand so i would have to fill butt 60 times to repay my purchase price, in east anglia our rainfall is so bad my in laws butts never refill butts more than twice from rainfall during summer. with that in mind it could take in excess of 10 years to recoup cost of butts if they were to last 10 years.
Is my maths correct or am i missing something

Comments

• Ectophile
    Ectophile Posts: 7,366 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    I think you're on the right lines.

If it's £3 per cubic metre, then it will be 3p for a 10 litre watering can, or 60p for a 200 litre water butt full.

So it could be a good many years to pay off the cost of a water butt.
    If it sticks, force it.
    If it breaks, well it wasn't working right anyway.
  • DaftyDuck
    DaftyDuck Posts: 4,609 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    They are difficult to justify on cost basis. I use them to get soft water for azelias and rhododendrons, and to feel a bit green. But, your math is along the right lines....
  • forgotmyname
    forgotmyname Posts: 32,569 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    I put a few trays out when its raining and bottle the water for my cactus and blueberries when i had them in pots.

Just thought would chillies prefer rainwater?
    Censorship Reigns Supreme in Troll City...

• Ken68
    Ken68 Posts: 6,825 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Energy Saving Champion Home Insurance Hacker!
    edited 31 August 2013 at 6:55AM
    Options
    I collect rainwater (and laundry water) in butts and tanks collected over the years from boot sales, freecycle and the Council Recycling Centre. Also from the classified section of the newspapers, and my Anglian water bill (SoLow tariff)is £3 a month.
    Flushing the loo using rainwater isn't for everyone but is great MSE.
  • iashem
    iashem Posts: 171 Forumite
    Options
    thanks for your replys, I will look on freecycle and car boots better than buying new
  • mansars
    mansars Posts: 73 Forumite
    Options
    Make your own

Aquire/Buy a food grade plastic or metal drum (like this one)

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Water-Barrel-water-butt-205-litre-plastic-blue-drum-/281159801356?pt=UK_Home_Garden_GardenEquipment_HandTools_SM&hash=item41766e1a0c

Then buy the connectors and a tap for about £10 all in.

If you dont want it near the house (as they are not the most atractive things) then I have used an old garden hose to connect the down pipe of my house to the barrel....I also grow some bushes round it to cover it.

hth
  • Leif
    Leif Posts: 3,727 Forumite
    Options
    Reasons for collecting rain water include avoiding hard water for Camellias etc, being eco friendly, and having a supply of water without having to connect a hose to an indoor tap assuming you do not have an outdoor tap. This year I was able to use nothing but rain water, and I got down to the last watering can full before rains hit. I have three butts, giving 600 litres in total.
    Warning: This forum may contain nuts.
  • no1catman
    no1catman Posts: 2,972 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post I've been Money Tipped!
    Options
    I've got four water butts, all different shapes, neither of them at full price.
    Two, were from, DIY closing sales, one from Wilkinson's end of season sale, and another from Homebase relocation e.g. £10.00 + £5.00 for base.
    I bought them not just to save on the water meter, but also to stop water from the garage downpipe flooding the patio & pond.
    I used to work for Tesco - now retired - speciality Clubcard
  • Ivana_Tinkle
    Options
    It depends... If it's just a conventional garden with a lawn and a few flowerbeds then, yes, a water butt is unlikely to pay for itself for a very long time. It's more of an advantage if you have polytunnels/greenhouses which need watering pretty much every day, rain or shine, in which case the butt(s) can end up being be emptied and and refilled many times a year. We use the water from one of ours for cleaning out our chicken coop, so it's being emptied and refilled all year round and shouldn't take long to pay for itself.
  • Leif
    Leif Posts: 3,727 Forumite
    Options
    Ivana Tinkle, a classic user name. :D
    Warning: This forum may contain nuts.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.5K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts