Credit card for ex bankrupt

Options
Today I applied for a Barclaycard specifically for ex bankrupts and was refused!
I was wondering if anyone could shed any light as to why this could be? I read the requirements carefully as saw no outward problem. I have been discharged for 3 years, have a valid bank account with no overdraft. No defaults on credit report.
Any ideas appreciated!!

Many thanks

Comments

• GazHatesBanks
    Options
    Only Barclaycard will know why, but are you on the electoral role at your current address and were Barclaycard (or one of the providers taken over by them) a creditor in your BR? This could result in a decline.

If you don't have another card and you are on the electoral role, it's worth applying for the Vanquis card as these are easier to get, but don't carry a balance on it as the interest rates are high!

2 applications close together won't overly affect your credit file, but any more than 2 just increases your chances of being rejected as it will look as though you are "credit hungry".
  • Fiveandnomore
    Options
    Thanks Gaz.
    Def on electoral roll and was only applying to rebuild credit so am in no hurry. Will have to check see if Barclays have taken over any previous creditors.

Best wishes
  • easygoingchap
    Options
    The very last thing I ever want is another credit card and I would leave my other arf if he applied for one. I intend to live within my means and if we need a MasterCard then a pre paid one will have to do.
  • dojoman
    dojoman Posts: 12,027 Forumite
    Options
    The very last thing I ever want is another credit card and I would leave my other arf if he applied for one. I intend to live within my means and if we need a MasterCard then a pre paid one will have to do.
    Unfortunately there are times that you will need a CC, even if you do not want one :(
    :pB&SC No. 298
    Life`s Tragedy is that we get OLD too soon
    and WISE too late!
  • easygoingchap
    Options
    dojoman wrote: »
    Unfortunately there are times that you will need a CC, even if you do not want one :(

Can you please give some examples as I honestly can't think of one time I will need one over a time I would prefer one (and believe me I never ever want to see one again) when a simple pre paid one wouldn't do the same job ? :huh:
  • alastairq
    alastairq Posts: 5,030 Forumite
    Options
    whether 'pre-paid'..or, 'pay later', for a credit card really doesn't matter.

However, does the 'pre-paid' card actually offer to give you interest on your 'pre-payment?'

Probably not....so in this instance, I personally would prefer not to go 'pre-paid'....and keep hold of my own money for a little while longer?

it really isn't about 'access to credit'.....for us.

That isn't, and won't ever be again, a problem.

{the problem being, being lulled into a false sense of security, by the power of advertising, peer pressure, and general financial well being?]

BR is the ultimate reality check.....BR places one in the 'big league' with regards to financial instruments....[probably why the finance industry hates us so much? Someone who has the nous to petition BR possibly knows an awful lot more of reality than those who wouldn't dream of attempting that route? Nothing the finance industry hates more , than someone who knows what they're doing?}

I suggest applying for one of the sub-prime credit cards, such as VAnquis?

The main purpose of holding such a card appears to be, re-building one's mythical credit score?

I don't use mine anything like as much as I should, really....[ie, using to pay for fuel, or other fixed, budgeted payments]...in my case, it's simply down to being a ball-ache having to remember two pin numbers.......to use the card, I have to make a conscious effort......so often cannot be bothered.

However, there are certain instances where a credit card [or, its number] can be useful..for example, certain kinds of online payment can only be made by such a card?
    [try buying, online, a Dell computer, for example, without one?]

Also, if running a vehicle, one of the cheapest, yet most effective forms of breakdown cover relies on the individual paying 'up front', which is all refunded a week later!
    One pays an annual subscription fee.....and if one doesn't break down, that is all one pays...even if one does break down...that is still all one pays,but there is an exchange of a rather large lump sum during the process [sometimes 400 or 500 pounds, depending on the service required]......in such an instance....to take advantage of the cheaper overall cost, one ought to have access to such a sum.....?

Of course, if one still cannot trust oneself to exercise the discipline needed when using a credit card.....then a pre-pay must be the only choice..however...I would say, rather than 'pre-apy', why not get a savings account which also issues a cash card? Then, the pre-paid moneys will still be working for you?
    No, I don't think all other drivers are idiots......but some are determined to change my mind.......
  • easygoingchap
    Options
    I get interest on my stb current account and can text money to my prepaid MasterCard in under 5 seconds and have only used pre paid for last 3 years and never had an issue buying goods, renting a car, booking a hotel or buying over the net so will stick with that. Not interest in building up my credit score ( anyway have to wait until ad to start that) as intend to live within my means for the rest of my life.

Horses for courses I guess
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport