PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

O/S Daily Friday 30 August 2013

Options
This is an “over the garden fence” type thread where we chat about everything Old Style and maybe a little bit more. It’s a great, inspiring and motivating thread we start each day to discuss what Old Style things we’re going to do today or what we’ve achieved already. Everyone’s welcome, please do come in, put your feet up (although check the fence hasn’t just been painted first!) and join us for an Old Style natter. The more the merrier!

As this is the Old Style Board, it would be appreciated if posts could include some Old Style content. Please be aware that many people may have small screens, or slow internet connections, so please don’t post large pictures, or clip art – links are preferred. When you make a post, if you feel like giving it a title, that will help others that don’t have the time to read everything skim through the thread quickly but if not it's not a problem. Please do not start a new daily thread before you go to bed at night because this often leaves things confusing with two daily threads live at the same time. The idea is that a member would start each new daily thread after they get up in the morning.

Some people who chat here like to try to answer everyone. Don’t feel you have to though, a general “hi everyone, hope everyone’s well” is fine.
LBM 10/1/12 ~ DFW Start 6/2/12: £82,344 ~ Now Zero
:staradmin:starmod::staradmin Debt free 17th April 2015 :staradmin:starmod::staradmin
Eternal thanks to the DMP & Mutual Support (no.439) and Payment a Day Threads
Mortgage free 3rd July 2014 - Grateful thanks to the 2013/14 MFW threads
"Debt is normal. Be weird!" Dave Ramsey
Proud to have dealt with our debt :)

Comments

• Time_to_face_the_music
    Options
    Good morning everyone :)

Hi and bye visit again because need to get to work. Stress really got to me yesterday and had a bit of an explosion in work. Am sure that will really do me good when they decide who to make redundant :o

Will try and pop back later but in the meantime usual well wishes to all sick people and pets and hugs for anyone who needs or just wants them. Keep well and safe and have a super day :)
    LBM 10/1/12 ~ DFW Start 6/2/12: £82,344 ~ Now Zero
    :staradmin:starmod::staradmin Debt free 17th April 2015 :staradmin:starmod::staradmin
    Eternal thanks to the DMP & Mutual Support (no.439) and Payment a Day Threads
    Mortgage free 3rd July 2014 - Grateful thanks to the 2013/14 MFW threads
    "Debt is normal. Be weird!" Dave Ramsey
    Proud to have dealt with our debt :)
  • notjustlaura
    Options
    Hi and bye visit again because need to get to work. Stress really got to me yesterday and had a bit of an explosion in work. Am sure that will really do me good when they decide who to make redundant :o...

Is it possible that they'll respect you for standing up for yourself and that this then becomes a positive rather than a negative?

Morning all!

Had a busy, fulfilling, wonderful day yesterday. It was especially wonderful as some of my seeds have 'hatched'. The seedlings are so tiny and delicate with their tiny wee leaves. I'm amazed at them.

Yesterday I made Lentil Sauce (for pasta), visited the garden centre for more compost, set up a tub and a trough for today's planting (turning and lettuce), went into town to buy the special hand wash I need and went to the gym. In the evening I went to bed and watched iPlayer while snuggling my boys and went to sleep early - I'm an early riser who needs her sleep.

The less positive news from yesterday is that the Nasty German Neighbours (NGNs) have appeared. They have the flat about mine but are away about six months of the year in Germany. Our arrangement is that I don't speak to them and they don't speak to me which works to an extent but does nothing for my blood pressure when their noise is causing a problem and I don't want to be the one who breaks the agreement. But such is life in a flat.

Today's plan is a quick trip to Mr S for foot scrub which I've run out of (I have funny skin, hence the special foot and hand care) and any other necessary bits that I need to top up. There's no farmers' market this week so I'm not doing a full shop tomorrow. Then I'll go up to M&D's to tend my plants and plant the new seeds. Back home for lunch (pasta with pesto, cheese and salad) then the gym. Friday is pizza night and while I've got the oven on for that I'll cook a Pacific Pie which I'll try and get prepped earlier in the day. Then pizza, dessert (tinned fruit) and off to bed for snuggles. Sounds like a good day :)

Hope everyone has an MSE and OS day :)
    Household: Laura + William-cat
    Not Buying It in 2015
  • Hard_Up_Hester
    Options
    Morning all
    To quote Granny Weatherwax, 'I b'aint dead' but my laptop is, so my DD loaned me her netbook and I couldn't log on to MSE or Facebook with it, I still can't get on to Facebook, but have started yet another MSE ID. I kept getting the 'wrong password' message and when I tried to reset the password I got the 'this email isn't registered with MSE' message, I tried to email Admin but couldn't do that either. I realise that this is a problem with my machine & not MSE, so I decided to re-register & hope it works.
    I've been signed off work for 2 weeks but will probably need a couple more, but will see how I feel. It would probably be OK if I had a sedentary job, but my work involves a lot of lifting a shifting.
    Anyway, the fish have been fed, hubby's gone to work by bus, I'm not well enough to drive yet & I've had a cuppa and will have my breakfast soon.
    A big thank you to Molly, I'll be thinking of you.
    LW I'g glad you have more furry friends due to visit you soon.
    Thank you to all those who have asked after me.
    I am now sleeping in the marital bed (get your minds out of the gutter, sleeping is all we're doing) the downside of this means I get up between 4 & 5 in the morning as my next door neighbour gets up around this time and works on the 'If I'm getting up at silly o'clock everyone else can too' system. I assume his noise is aimed at his family, but it wakes me up too.
    Plans for today include a stroll round the garden, after which I'll have a nap, a shower, after which I'll have a nap, a visitor, after which, well you get the picture. Hubby set the iron & ironing board up for me before he left for work, I can do a bit of ironing but can't lift the iron out of the cupboard as it's a steam generator one and very heavy.
    Right, I've wittered on long enough.
    Have a good day everyone.
    Hugs Hester
    Chin up, Titus out.
  • [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User] Posts: 17,413 Forumite
    First Post I've been Money Tipped!
    edited 30 August 2013 at 7:24AM
    Options
    Good Morning chums another bright and sunny day forcast in my corner of the country (north Kent)
    Well we made some doughnuts yesterday in the d'nut maker and I was very good and never even tasted a tiny one.I am sticking to my diet like glue as my wobbly tum just has to go.The DGS loved them though and made a dozen vanish like snow on a hot day :):)
    Not too sure what the boys and I will do today,maybe go to the country park for a wander this afternoon.
    Ben went to a party last night so he won't waken up much before lunch anyway :):)Next week they all sart back to school.Mikey is on Tuesday, and Jack ,Henry and Ben on Thursday, then life will resume some sembelance of normality again.Routine will kick in for a few weeks at least.
    My eldest DD has been buying odds and ends for me over the past week or so for me to put into my 'Chrismas present box' Bless her she can sniff out a bargain at a hundred yards :):).Very useful as it saves me trailing around the shops .Right time to get a wriggle on and have a shower ,breakfast and off to see the boys for the day.DD goes off to work at 8 and her OH at 8.15 so I am there for the rest of the day until they get home around 6.-6.30.
    Have a good day everyone whatever you are doing
    Cheers chums
    JackieO xxx
    P.S. glad to 'see' you back again HH
  • redruby
    redruby Posts: 7,317 Forumite
    Options
    Morning all,

Hester nice to 'see' you, I was wondering where you were, take it nice and easy xx

Looks like another nice day here, wm is on with a dark load, and I will take advantage od dd being away and strip and boil wash her bedding. They arrived in the Isle of Man very late last night so have not seen anything yet, hopefully they will get out and about today, Floss there is some kind of racing on this week, but they both love bikes so should not be a problem. I do hope her dad takes her out he has a tendancy to sit and do nothing so I hope he makes the effort !

This morning I am waiting for my flooring to be delivered, supposed to be before 12 but we shall see ! I also need to PVA the new chimney breast ready for plastering, and mis-coat the other walls, if I get time I will go and see my dad at lunchtime.

Dinner tonight is a treat ! I have bought us a dressed crab with some prawns, we dont have it often, I shall do salad and bread and butter with it. looking forward to it.

Have good days all xx
  • nmlc
    nmlc Posts: 4,788 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    edited 30 August 2013 at 7:57AM
    Options
    Morning everyone

Hugs to all those that are feeling sad/poorly x

Light cloud with sun trying to peek out here this morning. Greenhouse watered. Washing in the machine.

DH and DS1 up and off to work stupid early.

Dinner last night was hunters chicken, mash, carrots, HG green beans and broccolli, menfolk had swiss roll for dessert. Tonight I'm not sure but it will be something reasonably easy.

Was reasonably productive yesterday, managed to get another engineers appointment to sort the DW on Wednesday, did all the ironing - this took most of the day in slots, stripped our bed, washed, dried and remade, shredded a pile of papers/receipts and did a quick hoover through of the kitchen, dining room and lounge. Shortly I will be going to town, the bank, food shopping, then once I'm home I'll be continuing with sorting stuff in the lounge, porch and DS2's bedroom - we still have stuff bought back from the caravan when we exchanged ours with our new to us one and we decided we didn't need as much in the new one, hence still having stuff at home! Will sort through it all today and I'll be ruthless - or at least I'll try! Need to also check that DS2 has his uniform etc - bought his shoes early on in the holidays as the local good shoe shops have closed so now have to go to next town, will just make sure he has trousers and shirts that fit, have a bit of a stock of school uniform as they changed their uniform last year and they were both given a complete set of brand new uniform and, of course, DS1 has now left, so hopefully not too much, if anything, to buy.

Feeling again a bit brighter this morning, although I have moments of arrgh! ... think the plan needs to be to keep busy - I certainly have enough of everything to do to do that! It certainly does seem to help and stop the mind wandering. Just want to try to get at least on top of it all as kids back to college and school this next week and DH and I go away next Friday til Sunday - so I lose next Friday daytime IYSWIM.

Have a good Friday everyone x

Keep safe and well x

nmlc x
    WEIGHTLOSS SINCE JUNE 2009 - 5 ST 2LB
  • floss2
    floss2 Posts: 8,030 Forumite
    Options
    redruby wrote: »
    ... Floss there is some kind of racing on this week, but they both love bikes so should not be a problem. I do hope her dad takes her out he has a tendancy to sit and do nothing so I hope he makes the effort !...

It is dead easy to get around by public transport - trams, trains, buses, mountain railway - and very safe, particularly with all the bikers around as they sort of keep an eye on everyone/everything around them, when they are not chatting with locals, visitors & the police!
  • Julie67
    Julie67 Posts: 2,362 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    Morning all,

I got the volunteering job:j it must have been all the positive vibes:D I do an induction next week. I'm pleased. When you've been out of work for a while you feel like no one wants you. It's good to feel I'm helping in some small way.
    Food shopping later, lots of fruit and no rubbishy snacks. They've started creeping in and if we have them, I eat them:eek:
    Our second crop of salad is just about ready for picking so shall have fish and salad for tea, maybe with some baby corn.
    My ds3 is back at 6th form next week. He has the first term to pull his socks up or else! He also starts his proper job at the hotel this weekend. It coincides with the Conservative party conference so lots of security checks.
    Dh papered the dining ceiling last night so the next step is to paint the ceilings, plural as outer dining area is tagged onto the lounge iykwim and then paint the coving and skirting boards. Then we will paper the feature walls, fireplace and a wall in the dining area and then paint the walls. Our living room is huge so it will take all weekend that's if we finish it at all. My brother arrives next Friday so need to get a shift on. I have my new curtains ready to hang, can't wait:D
    Of course we need some new pics for the wall, bring on the arguments. We have very different tastes when it comes to art, I will probably win, I usually do :rotfl:

Have a lovely Friday x
    Started Self Managed DMP 10th May 2017.
    Working hard to get rid of our debt.
  • luxor4t
    luxor4t Posts: 11,125 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary Photogenic First Post
    Options
    Morning all,

DW loaded, WM is on and I've tidied round. It's cool and grey here but I hope to get the washing dry.

Tonight's dinner is sitting in the freezer - still haven't decided what yet.

Today the needle nurse will teach me how to use the Enbrel pen. I know it won't happen overnight, but I'll start getting some of my life back as it kicks in.

'Strictly' starts on soon - I'm excited already :o:o

Hugs all round x
    I can cook and sew, make flowers grow.
  • NAR
    NAR Posts: 4,863 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Morning All,

TTFTM - sorry to hear about bust up at work, but I suppose as tensions have been raised over the last month it was always likely to occur.
    Hester - lovely to see you back, your humour has been missed!
    Julie - congrats on job, the power of MSE! lol

OH and I are off out to a charity night tonight for Guide Dog Fund. I will get the OH a big jug of cocktail and hope that I get luckier than Hester! :rotfl: :rotfl:

Have a good day everyone :beer:
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport