driver not admitting fault. help!

Options
Hi, looking for some advice if anyone can assist. I was in a car accident a week ago and the 3rd party is not admitting fault. Now i get that they obviously wouldn't because really who would when policies tell you not to. BUT... The damage on my car clearly indicates that I am not to blame and there is photographic evidence. The problem is that his insurance has sent an inspector who is making me a "without prejudice" valuation. It looks like it will go the way of 50/50 or equal blame. The police were called and attended but no reference was given as we both were deemed to walk away from the incident unhurt.

my question is this, can I push my insurer to pursue the 3rd party to admit fault by fighting my corner using the evidence that is there(damage to my vehicle and pictures of the collision) and the police statements? I can't sit back and watch someone who is clearly at fault get away with it by having me share responsibility.

Many thanks

G

Comments

• Strider590
    Strider590 Posts: 11,874 Forumite
    edited 29 August 2013 at 10:21PM
    Options
    Insurance companies nearly always dispute liability before they've even received the accident report from their client. It's stressful I know, but you should wait......

But you haven't told us what happened.

But the problem at the moment, is I see a lot of drivers doing crazy things based on their own version of the highway code (call it the "my way code").
    Stuff like trying to stop people overtaking them, swerving across two lanes to stop "queue jumpers" and MANY other things that are wrong and illegal, but they believe to be correct.

My GF had an accident on a blind corner not long ago, because the woman in the BMW X5 coming the other way, honestly believed that big cars are allowed to cross the centre line in corners and small cars are supposed to give way. I mean where the hell do people get these crazy ideas?

So unless your willing to give some idea of what happened and why you believe you were right, we can't do much other than what i said in my first few lines.
    “I may not agree with you, but I will defend to the death your right to make an a** of yourself.”

<><><><><><><><><<><><><><><><><><><><><><> Don't forget to like and subscribe \/ \/ \/
  • spacey2012
    spacey2012 Posts: 5,836 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    When you have done this once, you know why people develop whiplash.
    Be happy...;)
  • Westmead_Fan
    Options
    similar thing happened with my brother a car reversed back into him clearly at fault but it went 50/50.

someone i know when they had a car accident was to say thy had a witness even though they didn't, it was a friend of theirs who was put forward which ended up them winning.

wrong i know but this is what happens when you get dishonest people in today's world
  • forgotmyname
    forgotmyname Posts: 32,572 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    They wont want to admit fault. But just wait to see what they do offer. From their actions i cannot see why you think its going to be 50/50.

They have inspected the vehicle. I presume your claiming directly not on your own policy.
    Censorship Reigns Supreme in Troll City...

• vaio
    vaio Posts: 12,287 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Lynsey2684 wrote: »
    .........The problem is that his insurance has sent an inspector who is making me a "without prejudice" valuation. It looks like it will go the way of 50/50 or equal blame. The police were called and attended but no reference was given as we both were deemed to walk away from the incident unhurt..........

I'd say that them sending an inspector and giving you a "without prejudice" valuation is a good sign and an indication that they are accepting blame
  • EdGasket
    EdGasket Posts: 3,503 Forumite
    Options
    Insurance companies just love 50/50 because then BOTH parties pay the excess and BOTH parties lose their no-claim bonus so the insurance industry gets the best overall deal. Where both parties have the same insurer it is a complete nightmare though logically one would think that it would help; they just screw both parties anyway they can to reduce the overall cost to themselves irrespective of blame. Its all a con.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.7K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.3K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 450K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.9K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 609K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.3K Life & Family
  • 248.5K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure