Silent treatment

Options
So basically DH was invited to an event by work in the email it specifically said as tickets were limited they could not be transferred.

We are all excited to go , phoned my mum to tell her and the conversation turned from oh yeah we have been there etc , but as soon as she found out we were going corporate , it changed to I would love to go to that, we ( her and sd) will meet you there. You can just get us in( to the free bit)

Told her it didn't work like that. We are issued with bands have our names , still went on about how it's the kind of thing she loves and of course we could get her in.

After about 20 mins of this I said no we can't , she took no notice of what I was saying so I snapped and said you need to get a grip of yourself , its nothing to do with you.

I hung up the phone, felt bad And phoned back, saying why are you trying to make me guilty about this, she replied no gabycat you never feel guilty about anything hung up on me and now I'm getting the silent treatment and all I did was phone to share good news.
Crazy cat lady

Comments

• Funky_Bold_Ribena
    Options
    How exactly were you going to get her in? Go through and break open the fire door and parachute her down?
    Sanctimonious Veggie. GYO-er. Seed Saver. Get in.
  • Turtle
    Turtle Posts: 999 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    She's being ridiculous and acting like a child. You've nothing to feel guilty about at all. Go to the event and enjoy it.
  • ifonlyitwaseasier
    Options
    she's being a drama llama!!!

you are perfectly entitled to call to share good news without having to share the item.event with anyone else!
    Nonny mouse and Proud!!
    Never argue with an idiot. They drag you down to their level then beat you with experience
    !!
    Debtfightingdivaextraordinaire!!!!
    Amor et metus. Lac? Sugar? Quisque massa vel duo? (stolen from a lovely forumite!)

• gabycat
    gabycat Posts: 502 Forumite
    Options
    Thanks everyone I did think that but god that woman can push my buttons.

I can't believe she thinks this is ok and because I called her out on her behaviour I now get the silent treatment
    Crazy cat lady
  • delain
    delain Posts: 7,700 Forumite
    Options
    I'm sure it's a mum thing. Mine complains that no one tells her anything if there's a problem, but if she does get wind of something it's a big crisis all about how awful it is FOR HER.

And she wonders why no one tells her anything.
    Mum of several with a twisted sense of humour and a laundry obsession :o:o
  • Tygermoth
    Tygermoth Posts: 1,413 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    ^ as above.

My mother always complains she left out of the loop.

But she tattles if told anything. Cant keep her mouth shut. Dresses up in everyone's dramas and then makes herself the kinpin in it.

So she whines that we don't tell her our little triumphs and you just cant tell her the reason why for example - when i passed my qualification it was because of all HER good work as a mother and she didn't even acknowledge the years, time and effort i put in. it was all her sacrifice (makes me mad as she had nothing to do with it AT ALL...though will tell all and sundry she financed me which is BS...oh, actually I lied she did give me a tenner once lol).

I have a significant birthday coming up soon and she rang me to ask what i will be doing for her as she did all the hard work on that day! she was not kidding. if she thinks i am taking her to New York (which is what she hinted) she is sadly mistaken.
    Please note I have a cognitive disability - as such my wording can be a bit off, muddled, misspelt or in some cases i can miss out some words totally...
  • Seanymph
    Seanymph Posts: 2,874 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    OH's dad is like this - there is only one viewpoint on the world and it's his.

I could list endless examples - but one will do, I had surgery on my knee, day surgery, sent home practically unconscious, the next day he arrived with his wife because 'they'd planned it' even though he KNEW I'd had surgery and OH had asked them not to come and explained that we couldn't go to lunch - and OH's Dad sat complaining bitterly at me that I was falling asleep on the sofa high on drugs because he 'wanted to take you both out for lunch' - obviously OH wouldn't go without me (and had been instructed not to leave me for 48 hours).

Blessedly I remember very little of his visit except for having to continuously apologise for not feeling up to going for lunch. Including him saying 'surely you could manage to stay awake for an hour if we don't have dessert'.

Good job I couldn't walk - I'd have clobbered him!

Some people are just selfish to the core, all you can do is smile and walk away and curse quietly.

Enjoy your event.
  • marmitepotato
    Options
    My ex is like this too. He used to make me endure weeks of silent treatment because I had transgressed one of his unwritten laws (I didn't know which one because he wouldn't answer me when I asked him). I divorced him!

Now years and years later he practices the same treatment on our 30 year old daughter because she happened to say 'hello' to someone whilst he was talking to her. I've told her not to play his games because all the while she does, he has control.
  • Money_maker
    Money_maker Posts: 5,471 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    Tygermoth wrote: »
    I have a significant birthday coming up soon and she rang me to ask what i will be doing for her as she did all the hard work on that day! she was not kidding. if she thinks i am taking her to New York (which is what she hinted) she is sadly mistaken.

:eek::eek::eek: OMG!

Have to remember that one for my kids (tongue in cheek, of course).
    Please do not quote spam as this enables it to 'live on' once the spam post is removed. ;)

If you quote me, don't forget the capital 'M'

Declutterers of the world - unite! :rotfl::rotfl:
  • aileth
    aileth Posts: 2,822 Forumite
    Options
    Ugh my mother is like this a lot of the time. She seems to think that because we're 'family' that gives you godly powers to move heaven and earth to do the impossible, or really obvious hints that she wants something and when you tell her you can't she throws a strop.

We are taking my dad on holiday to see a major historic sight at the end of this year before he gets too old to walk around it (lots and lots of walking). They've never gone because she isn't interested in the slightest and in fact when it was mentioned in the past she was very very anti going.

Well, of course when we invited my dad, booked it and paid, all of a sudden I got guilt tripped to hell and back, "Well, I could've gone and stayed in the hotel...", "Why didn't you want me to go?" Etc etc. Bloody nightmare!
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure