MSE News: Amazon sellers can now cut prices elsewhere

edited 30 November -1 at 1:00AM in Ebay, Auctions, Car Boot & Jumble Sales
21 replies 2.8K views
"Sellers who use Amazon can now offer their goods for less on other websites, following an investigation by the Office of Fair Trading..."
Read the full story:

Amazon sellers can now cut prices elsewhere

OfficialStamp.gif

Click reply below to discuss. If you haven’t already, join the forum to reply. If you aren’t sure how it all works, read our New to Forum? Intro Guide.

Replies

• michaelsmichaels Forumite
    25.8K Posts
    Part of the Furniture 10,000 Posts Name Dropper
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    How about the OfT investigating eBay for taking advantage of their natural monopoly and excessive pricing via paypal? Other natural monopolies like water supply are highly regulated.
    I think....
  • RFWRFW Forumite
    9.6K Posts
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts Name Dropper Combo Breaker
    ✭✭✭✭
    michaels wrote: »
    How about the OfT investigating eBay for taking advantage of their natural monopoly and excessive pricing via paypal? Other natural monopolies like water supply are highly regulated.
    How can you think Ebay have the same kind of monopoly as a water company? I can't choose to get my water from a different supplier, I can choose a myriad of outlets on and offline to buy and sell from.

Ebay's pricing is self regulating if it gets too high people will stop using it.

As far as pricing goes Ebay is pretty much on a par with Amazon who also insist sellers use their payment system.
  • edited 31 August 2013 at 9:16AM
    RFWRFW Forumite
    9.6K Posts
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts Name Dropper Combo Breaker
    ✭✭✭✭
    edited 31 August 2013 at 9:16AM
    (Text removed by MSE Forum Team)

Ebay may well be priced too high for some people, they would then stop using it, thus proving the 'monopoly' argument as ridiculous. I certainly wouldn't be telling anyone to use Ebay at all costs, especially when there are so many other places to sell.

I really couldn't care less if everyone stopped using Ebay tomorrow, I've got enough other sales avenues open to survive without them. That's really why I don't get the monopoly argument, it just doesn't make sense.
  • StrappedStrapped Forumite
    8.2K Posts
    ✭✭✭✭
    michaels wrote: »

Yes, ebay is a monopoly.

Except for, erm...Amazon perhaps?

You know, Amazon, who were mentioned in the opening post. D'oh! :D
    They deem him their worst enemy who tells them the truth. -- Plato
  • edited 31 August 2013 at 9:16AM
    soolinsoolin Forumite, Board Guide
    68.2K Posts
    Part of the Furniture 10,000 Posts Photogenic Name Dropper
    ✭✭✭✭✭✭
    edited 31 August 2013 at 9:16AM
    Road-hog, seriously , read your post.

as I mentioned in a different thread I believe you are actually just trying to wind people up rather than offer any serious help. However, a wind up only works if you look credible, denying your own posts rather misfires in you- sorry.

I will leave you now to argue some other irrelevant point in your own unique way.
    I'm the Board Guide for the Ebay Board , Charities Board , Dosh & Disability , Up Your Income and the Local MoneySaving-England board which means I volunteer to help get your forum questions answered and keep the forum running smoothly. However, do remember, board guides don't read every post. If you spot an illegal or inappropriate post then please report it to [email protected] (it's not part of my role to deal with this). Any views are mine and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.com
    New to Forum? Guide
  • John_PierpointJohn_Pierpoint Forumite
    8.4K Posts
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts
    ✭✭✭✭
    Can we get back to Amazon?

What is the practical effect of this change? Can we now jump from Amazon to Google and find the original phone number of the trader and haggle a lower price?
  • soolinsoolin Forumite, Board Guide
    68.2K Posts
    ✭✭✭✭✭✭
    Can we get back to Amazon?

What is the practical effect of this change? Can we now jump from Amazon to Google and find the original phone number of the trader and haggle a lower price?

Well you can but that is not what this is about.

previously amazon had a rule where sellers were not able to sell the same item for less on a different site. As amazon fees can be higher than say eBay, sellers wanted to get the same net result which would mean eBay prices being lower. If they did that then Amazon warned they would suspend the selling accounts.

This rule merely means that sellers can sell for whatever price they want on any site and wont risk their amazon account.

In practical terms though I don't think many sellers actually lost accounts, I have been buying stationery from one seller who is very often cheaper on eBay than he is for the same item on amazon, and he certainly doesn't look like he has had any issues.
    I'm the Board Guide for the Ebay Board , Charities Board , Dosh & Disability , Up Your Income and the Local MoneySaving-England board which means I volunteer to help get your forum questions answered and keep the forum running smoothly. However, do remember, board guides don't read every post. If you spot an illegal or inappropriate post then please report it to [email protected] (it's not part of my role to deal with this). Any views are mine and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.com
    New to Forum? Guide
  • the_lunatic_is_in_my_headthe_lunatic_is_in_my_head Forumite
    4.1K Posts
    Tenth Anniversary 1,000 Posts Name Dropper
    ✭✭✭✭
    Strapped wrote: »
    Yes, ebay is a monopoly.

Except for, erm...Amazon perhaps?

You know, Amazon, who were mentioned in the opening post. D'oh! :D

Competition law looks at companies with a dominant market position, having just two major players doesn't mean there isn't an issue with regards to how those companies play the game.
  • ballisticbrianballisticbrian Forumite
    3.9K Posts
    Tenth Anniversary 1,000 Posts Combo Breaker
    ✭✭✭✭
    I think also Soolin, what this is about, is sellers putting a slip of paper in with the Amazon order saying, thanks for your order, here our web site is better and cheaper and here's 10% off your next order from furry-handcuffs .com or whatever.
    In Amazon's minds, this undermines them, because it is sellers using Amazon as advertising and a launch pad for their own sites. But Amazon don't want the success of their sellers sites, just their own global domination. Who doesn't? ;)
    Warning: any unnecessary disclaimers appearing under my posts do not bear any connection with reality, either intended, accidental or otherwise. Your statutory rights are not affected.
  • soolinsoolin Forumite, Board Guide
    68.2K Posts
    ✭✭✭✭✭✭
    I think also Soolin, what this is about, is sellers putting a slip of paper in with the Amazon order saying, thanks for your order, here our web site is better and cheaper and here's 10% off your next order from furry-handcuffs .com or whatever.
    In Amazon's minds, this undermines them, because it is sellers using Amazon as advertising and a launch pad for their own sites. But Amazon don't want the success of their sellers sites, just their own global domination. Who doesn't? ;)

Amazon rules were clear, if the item was sold on another site at a cheaper price then the seller account was at risk. If that other site was a sellers own site but showing online then that would fall foul of the old rules.

The position with regards to advertising on compliment slips is I believe, different. I'm sure we all do that as a way of getting customers to our other venues. I can't see how a ban on that sort of advertising could be enforced.
    New to Forum? Guide
This discussion has been closed.
Latest News and Guides