Feeling so......bleurgh.

Options
OH and I just moved into our new house 2 weeks ago. It's been one thing after another with the house (in the form of discovering a load of live wires in the walls and nearly being electrocuted, and finding that the previous vendor took some important piping with them when they left and having to live with a leak/occasional flood in the kitchen) and then last night at 11.30pm the doorbell goes. We go to the door and can see through the fuzzy glass that something is wrong. Open the door, and someone has set our black bin on fire, right next to our car's petrol tank.

Just...why? I feel so defeated. How do people do stuff like this and just get to run away? All we do is work full time, work hard, abide by the rules in life, contribute to society, pay our way etc. For what? For some yob to come along and land us with a bill to fix the car and replace our bin.

I could absolutely just sit and weep. Had enough.
First home purchased 09/08/2013
New job start date 24/03/2014
Life is slowly slotting into place :beer:

Comments

• marisco_2
    marisco_2 Posts: 4,261 Forumite
    Options
    Moving house is known to be one of the most stressful experiences you can go through. Having people adding to it in such unnecessary ways though must be awful. Poor you. I really hope things settle down for you soon OP and that you can enjoy being in your new home.

Had the person who knocked on the door to inform you of the bin being on fire, seen anyone suspicious in the area? I would report that incident to the police if I were you. Not sure what recourse you have regarding the piping that has been taken and left you dealing with a leak. Hopefully someone more knowledgeable about that will be along soon who could advise you.
    The best day of your life is the one on which you decide your life is your own, no apologies or excuses. No one to lean on, rely on or blame. The gift is yours - it is an amazing journey - and you alone are responsible for the quality of it. This is the day your life really begins.
  • pops5588
    pops5588 Posts: 638 Forumite
    Options
    The doorbell wasn't even a kindly neighbour. It was the person who lit the fire and then ran away. Fire engine turned up pretty promptly but the police didn't arrive for another half an hour so I highly doubt they managed to catch anyone. We weren't given a crime ref number or anything so don't even know if I can call up the station and ask if anyone was caught.

Had to drop the car off this morning to check whether the damage is more than just superficial, and the council have told me if I want another bin it's going to cost us £30. Rubbing salt in the wound much!
  • lavalamp
    lavalamp Posts: 236 Forumite
    Options
    I would phone the police to get a crime number - if there is any damage to your car, you won't be able to claim on insurance without one as far as I know.

Surely the council could give you a new bin - did you tell them it was vandalised?
  • pops5588
    Options
    Thanks awpvicki, I will definitely get one now.

I did tell her that it was vandalised but I don't think that she just wanted to take our word for it. So now am going to have to try and track down the policeman we spoke to. Gaaahhhh!!!! People suck!!!!
  • tessie_bear
    tessie_bear Posts: 4,898 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Mortgage-free Glee!
    Options
    hope things pick up for you....re the property could you speak to your solicitor about the seller taking bits away with them ?
    onwards and upwards
  • lika_86
    lika_86 Posts: 1,773 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    Definitely speak to your solicitor about the vendors taking the pipework, I would think this would be a fixture and fitting that should have been (unless indicated otherwise on the initial forms filled in by the seller) left.
  • pops5588
    Options
    Well I managed to get an incident number. The lady was nice enough but she said that these things happen occasionally unfortunately and particularly in the summer holidays and there isn't much they can do (basically saying don't think we're going to even try and catch who did it). Well maybe they could have done something if they hadn't taken half an hour to turn up, of course the !!!!!! has run off and got away with it!!!!! And of course idiots like that will keep doing it if they know they can and no one is even going to try and catch them! For goodness sake...

We decided to pick our battles slightly when it came to the washing machine, just went and sorted through all the parts ourself and managed to sort it over the weekend.
  • marisco_2
    marisco_2 Posts: 4,261 Forumite
    Options
    I hope you will have no more problems and can start to enjoy settling into your new home now.
    The best day of your life is the one on which you decide your life is your own, no apologies or excuses. No one to lean on, rely on or blame. The gift is yours - it is an amazing journey - and you alone are responsible for the quality of it. This is the day your life really begins.
  • dancingfairy
    dancingfairy Posts: 9,069 Forumite
    Options
    gosh what a horrid time. Moving house is stressful enough without all the added rubbish. Hopefully that's your 3 horrid things over and done with and you can now settle into your new home.
    df
    Making my money go further with MSE :j
    How much can I save in 2012 challenge
    75/1200 :eek:
  • *max*
    *max* Posts: 3,208 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    Someone stole my black bin once. I reported it to the police, got an incident number, and gave it to the council who then replaced my bin free of charge. See if yours have the same policy maybe. I would be raging too if I were you.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.4K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.2K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure