Howdens or diy-kitchens.com

Options
Hi,

I have got a fab price for a new kitchen from diy-kitchens and it seems they generally get good reviews.
I had a fitter come round last night who would prefer to install a Howdens kitchen and although I haven't got a price off them yet he seems to think Howdens will price match.

From what I can see diy-kitchens are possibly slightly better quality (But I don't know for certain). They also have particular units and sizes of worktop that I want that Howdens don't have.

What should I do? Try and get this fitter to fit the diy-kitchen, go with a Howdens kitchen or find a different fitter?

Out of the two of them which kitchen company would you choose?

I'm at work until 9pm so can't reply until then but all info is gratefully received :)

Comments

• Mickeyrogan
    Options
    Howdens do trade accounts. He probably wants you to use them so he can save an extra 30% without you knowing.
  • Steve_the_fitter
    Steve_the_fitter Posts: 540 Forumite
    edited 26 August 2013 at 8:32PM
    Options
    youll be getting a better quality kitchen if you go with diy.

id also take the above post with a pinch of salt. the fitter is probably just used to fitting howdens kitchens
  • redrosegirlie
    Options
    Thanks both of you.

My ex H is a joiner who uses Howdens so I do sort of know how it works and that is a whole new debate! The fitter did say he can get an 85% discount so he maybe thinking about passing all of it onto me. I think he may want the Howdens one for both of your reasons.

I suppose I wanted to know that if the price is the same for supply and fitting which one to go for.

I wanted wider worktops and a microwave wall unit which Howdens doesn't do except they do have a breakfast bar which would then need cutting.

I feel bad because he spent an hour and a half at my house yesterday going through my plan.
  • maintenanceman
    Options
    It's funny, I a in the same situation. Howdens or Diy.com. I am sceptical at buying over the internrt as I cannot see the product. It seems DIY kitchen manufacture their own carcasses, but they offer the Second Nature range, which from what I believe are doors by PBS. Can any one correct me on this.
    Also with Howdens you only have a choice of white or oak carcasses, whereas whith diy kitchens you have the choice of matching carcasses.
    As I am fitting the kitchen myself what worries me from buying over the interenet is possible delays with items, possibilty of incorrectly ordered item or missing items. All which will be hassle to sort out. Also you have to design the kitchen and buy it yourself with DIY kitchens. I am leaning towards DIY kitchens as I feel I might get a better product at a lesser price but the I can forsee downfalls so am not yet committed either way
    Buying from howdens will be easier as you can visit their branches and sort out problems. That's the only advantage I can see from buying from Howdens.
  • phill99
    phill99 Posts: 9,093 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    In the last year, I have fitted about 11 kitchens, 9 of them Howdens and 2 Magnet Trade. I can't comment on diykitchens, but the reason I stick to Howdens particularly is that their stock level are excellent. Occasionally there is a damaged panel or carcass or a piece is missing. I can then go to Howdens and get the item exchanged immediately. Additionally, sometimes the plan on paper doesn't actually work in reality and you need to change units for a different size. This I also done instantly.

I can imagine that with an Internet based company there will be a delay in getting replacements and realistically it's going to be 2 or 3 days before a replacement I delivered. If you are on a 3 or 4 day fit, this can be significant.

For a smooth fit, I would go with Howdens.
    Eat vegetables and fear no creditors, rather than eat duck and hide.
  • maintenanceman
    Options
    phill99 wrote: »
    In the last year, I have fitted about 11 kitchens, 9 of them Howdens and 2 Magnet Trade. I can't comment on diykitchens, but the reason I stick to Howdens particularly is that their stock level are excellent. Occasionally there is a damaged panel or carcass or a piece is missing. I can then go to Howdens and get the item exchanged immediately. Additionally, sometimes the plan on paper doesn't actually work in reality and you need to change units for a different size. This I also done instantly.

I can imagine that with an Internet based company there will be a delay in getting replacements and realistically it's going to be 2 or 3 days before a replacement I delivered. If you are on a 3 or 4 day fit, this can be significant.

For a smooth fit, I would go with Howdens.

These are issues that do worry me about buying over the internet. I do think that independents are also a consideration. My aim is to get a better quality kitchen at the same price as Howdens, colour matched carcasses and the size of units I want, not compromise because of limited standard size units. I also believe the details make a kitchen look good, sometimes those details aren't available. Also don't get me started on the price of end panels.
  • redrosegirlie
    Options
    Yes maintenanceman. I agree with you on your last post but do those issues warrant buying a kitchen from a company that doesn't fully fulfill your wishlist in unit / worktop sizes?
  • redrosegirlie
    Options
    Maintenanceman, where do you live?

I am about 1/12 hours away from the diy-kitchen showroom so I may go and have a look but I googled second nature kitchens and I have found a number of nearby independant kitchen retailers that stock these kitchens so I can easily go and look at the doors.
  • maintenanceman
    maintenanceman Posts: 3,396 Forumite
    edited 27 August 2013 at 8:48PM
    Options
    I am far from them, That is is the dilema. Like phil99 said not all kitchens fit the plan and some may make adjustments becuase there are too many variables. The question 'buying a kitchen from a company that doesn't fully fulfill your wishlist in unit / worktop sizes?' is answered with another question as does it warrant any possible agro to sort out any issues. If you can get a fitter to accept responsibility for the ordering of the units and take the agro for any mistakes and absorb those costs you will be very lucky. Otherwise the onus is on you and the responsibility as well. Pay less take responsibilyt and costs. Pay someone else and pay them for that.
  • cddc
    cddc Posts: 1,164 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    From a neutrals point of view, having seen both fitted, and had a good look at them both, I would say DIY is better quality.

The downside with DIY is you have to do the planning yourself, as an internet firm they wont send someone round to do a plan for you. I have heard that replacement parts are normally with you within a couple of days and the service is pretty good though.

As long as your plan fits, I would say DIY is the better option.
    Fitters love Howdens for three reasons. Ready built carcasses save them a bit of time, stock availability, and the ability to make a bit of money on supply. Also, as they are trade only, they are guaranteed any remedial work too.

The kitchens are OK, but they are nothing special either, and the warranty is much shorter than almost anyone else. Also it is though the fitter and not you. Not to say there is anything wrong with them because there is not, but if the prices are close, as the end user, it is something to bear in mind.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.4K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.8K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.5K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.3K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.2K Life & Family
  • 248.1K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure