Repaying different types of student loans

I am thinking of doing a masters degree course, starting in January 2014. I completed my BA in 2012, and therefore the student loan I had at the time was the 'old type' (pre-Sept 2012).

The masters degree course will incur the new tuition fees, and therefore the repayment of a new loan will be different, in terms of when and how I pay it off (salary, interest etc.).

How do I work out how the two different loans will be repaid? Will they be grouped together or will they be considered as two entirely separate loans? Will I pay each loan off in different ways?

Thank for the help.

Comments

• GwylimT
    GwylimT Posts: 6,530 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    What masters course are you doing? There are only a select few where student finance is available, most are either self funded, you get a bank loan, or you apply for help towards fees e.g. a scholarship. The fees for a masters and an undergraduate degree are completely different.
  • Oh I see, I was under the impression that student loans are now more readily available for masters courses.

It would be for an MA in Photojournalism at UAL.
  • Naf
    Naf Posts: 3,160 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    I wouldn't have thought you'd be eligible. SF will pay for a Masters when that's the original undergraduate course you start on; but as an extra 'top-up' I didn't think they funded it at all.
    Never argue with stupid people, they will drag you down to their level and then beat you with experience.
    - Mark Twain
    Arguing with idiots is like playing chess with a pigeon: no matter how good you are at chess, its just going to knock over the pieces and strut around like its victorious.
  • GwylimT
    GwylimT Posts: 6,530 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    No, you wont be able to get a student loan for that from student finance, there are career development loans, but you have to start paying it back when your course finishes, not when you are earning x amount, they are available from the Co-op, RBS and Barclays, they are up to £10K. During study and for one month afterwards the government will pay the interest on your loan, then you start paying it back at a rate decided between you and your bank.

There are bursaries and scholarships available, some are smaller around £1K and there are even ones that will cover all of your fees and even give you funding for living costs. Have a good look at university and see what is offered, if your masters is career based have a look at any possible help from businesses/councils in that specific area, e.g. arts council.
  • Thank you for the clarification, the university does offer a variety of funding schemes so I should probably look in to those.

I'm guessing career development loans are much like personal loans in that they affect the applicant's credit history and so on?
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.9K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure