Real-life MMD: Should we pay vet's bill for the cat our neighbour stole from us?

Comments

• Spatton
    Spatton Posts: 36
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Forumite
    I couldn't bear the idea of an animal in pain, so I would probably pay. But .... It does beg the question of whether or not she can afford to look after the cat properly, so I would ask her how she plans to afford treatment in future. Fool me once and all that!
  • jinger_2
    jinger_2 Posts: 31 Forumite
    I would apologise to the lady who now has the cat and say that the cat adopted her 6 years ago so is no longer technically yours even though your details are registered on the microchip's database. If you still have the microchip's paperwork, you can contact them to change the contact details if you know their name and address. The cat is no longer your responsibility. I would advise the lady who now has the cat to contact the local PDSA/RSPCA/Cat Welfare branch and see if they can help her with the cost of treatment.

I have had 3 cats adopt me over the past 12 years or so and have paid all vets bills since they came to live with me. 2 of the cats I knew the original owners and wouldn't dream of being cheeky and asking their original owners to help out with the costs. It's like buying a dog and then asking the breeder to help out, complete no-no.

If you take a cat/dog/hamster etc in then you should bare all costs.
    In a world where everything is a copy, I remain an original
  • lostinrates
    lostinrates Posts: 55,283
    I've been Money Tipped!
    Forumite
    Cats are 'disloyal'. If you allow them free access in and out of your property then you allow them in to others property.

While you disloyal cat was off being disloyal you, like most of we cat owners, were unlikely to be hunting for its cat poop or any problems it had caused. You then let a situation drift and make no mention of making effort to prevent this situation developing or entrenching as a habit in cat or neighbour). While an 'old lady' is a great boon as a neighbour for pets of working pet owners they might not be ideally placed as owners to young pets, especially when longevity of the latter is on a par, or longer, than their own life or independent life, for example. But as work day companions or holiday care this can be a wonderful boon to you and your stay at home pet and to some one who enjoys the pets company, so long as you also meet some sort of happy arrangement about them not feeding the cat at their home for example.

I am afraid on buying a cat you undertook a commitment to it for its life time or until your formal rehoming of the animal.

IMO the responsibility for the vet bill is yours.
  • Sweetsue
    Sweetsue Posts: 27 Forumite
    Exactly the same thing happened to me. My cat broke her pelvis after being hit by a car, I had to keep her confined for 6 weeks, when I let her out she ran off & was missing for three months. Then I saw her a few gardens away, I spoke to my neighbour she said that they'd renamed the cat and the children would be really upset if I took her away. We even moved away and checked when we left that they were still happy to keep the cat, Eight years later I had a phone call to say that the cat needed the vet and would we pay the bill, My husband refused but I felt bad and put a cheque in their letterbox. The next day I found the cat in a cardboard box on the doorstep, She lived for another eight years died at the ripe old age of 18!
  • minicooper272
    minicooper272 Posts: 2,131
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Forumite
    Cats are a bit funny - you don't adopt a cat, the cat adopts you. In your case, it sounds like your cat has adopted someone else (encouraged by her feeding it of course). It's just one of those things I think most cat owners come to accept (both those who have taken one in, and lost one!) so I don't know why people are so judgmental.

At the end of the day, the cat hasn't been 'home' in 6 years, and if this lady was so concerned about keeping it, she would have discouraged it from coming round back then.

On a purely financial side of it, if it's not an expensive treatment, I might pay half as a good will gesture, telling her it's the first and last time. You're no longer the cats owner, and I doubt anyone could argue you are. If it's an expensive treatment, you either pay all of it and tell her you will be taking the cat back (which sadly means keeping it as a house cat for a very long time to stop it running back) or tell her to try the PDSA.
  • Fujiko
    Fujiko Posts: 150 Forumite
    My first reaction is to say anyone who takes on an animal has to understand that they could at some time be faced with a bill for expensive treatment. I suspect the old lady did not think of this when she took on this cat. However, she cannot be that badly off if she can afford to feed a cat for six years. I have a cat and I know how much it costs me each week for her food. Also, has she been taking the cat to the vet each year for its regular check up and injection - again not cheap?

Without knowing her circumstances I feel she is trying it on, and you should tell her so, but as other people have said I could not bear to think of any animal suffering. Do you know exactly what is wrong with it, the likely cost and how long the treatment will last? I think I would offer a contribution towards the cost,but not before I had told her to try the PDSA. I think they are quite generous. I saw a woman in my vet's surgery who was getting her bills paid by them, but was smoking and had a newish car outside!
  • CFC
    CFC Posts: 3,119 Forumite
    I'd offer her nothing. Not my cat any more.
  • SnowyOwl_2
    SnowyOwl_2 Posts: 5,257
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Forumite
    The ownership of this cat really ought to have been established long ago. You say you "replaced" him six years ago, yet you have neither discussed ownership with the woman concerned, nor have you changed the microchip records. The woman is playing on your lack of action to get the current issue sorted.

As for the cat needing veterinary treatment, I think on this occasion if I were you, I'd compromise with the woman and tell her that you would be willing to pay part of the bill (say the first £50 or so) on condition that she takes full responsibilty for the cat post treatment, and that the microchip is re-registered with her details. If she insists that it is not her cat, then it's your moral duty to ensure the cat receives the veterinary treatment it requires, but you must either take it back and keep it indoors, or else have it rehomed.
  • krlyr wrote: »
    I don't know if I would quite class the cat as stolen or abandoned though. Owners do have a responsibility to their pets - if the owner decided the cat was better off elsewhere, then I feel their last responsibility to the cat is to find it a home with an owner who not only loves it, but who can afford and provide appropriate care.

I would be inclined to either pay up (just think of all the money the original owner saved on cat food, flea treatment, etc. by leaving the cat's costs to the old lady) or accept responsibility for the cat and take it back into their care or rehome it to someone who can afford it.

It's appropriate to point out that this old lady has been paying all the cats living expenses for 6 years - without recognition or thanks. I'm sure she wouldn't have asked for financial assistance without proper consideration of her own circumstances.

You probably consider yourself an animal lover - as do most folk in this country - so perhaps you should be thinking not 'is this lady pulling a fast one on me' or 'but he's not my responsibility any more'... But should be thinking more along the lines of 'here is an animal in need that I can help directly'.

What a great opportunity to do good - to make amends for letting the cat go in the first place, and help both the cat and the old lady in the process. Good for you if you do the right thing and pay.

Sent from my iPhone.

2015: zilch. 2016:Visit London Lumiere Light Festival wudon meal for 4
    2014:Sound Bar Matcha Tea Wimbledon Men's Final Tickets Duran vinyl Singing In The Rain tickets £100 Paypal Trip to Santorini

:A:staradminTHANKS TO ALL COMPERS WHO POST ON HERE:staradmin:A
  • janaltus
    janaltus Posts: 155 Forumite
    Here is the issue regarding a micro-chipped "abandoned" cat, from a different perspective:
    http://www.petforums.co.uk/cat-rescue-adoption/31710-adopted-neglected-cat-but-he-chipped-last-owner.html

At various times three cats and one dog have preferred to live with me, rather than their previous "hosts". In the case of the dog, I named "Cão", I went to extreme lengths to try and track down the previous owner (who had abandoned Cão). When he eventually appeared, it turned out he had mistreated Cão (aforesaid dog growled at him) so I presented him vets fees for £150 plus an indication that I would want recompense for feeding/hosting the dog for 6 months. Faced with that prospect, the nasty man backed down and, thankfully, we never saw him again. Cão was my faithful friend for another 12 years.

But I don't believe it is possible for anyone to "own" a cat. And no one can effectively "steal" a disloyal cat. Microchips might be useful for locating lost cats. But if a cat decides it prefers one person's home over another, it will treat the content of the microchip with the disdain it deserves, and live where it wants!

Also note, the wonderful PDSA (and Blue Cross and RSPCA) often provide superior treatment to that provided by private vets.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 342.5K Banking & Borrowing
  • 249.9K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.4K Spending & Discounts
  • 234.6K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 172.8K Life & Family
  • 247.4K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure