Bank card readers: Love 'em or hate 'em?

Former_MSE_Debs
Former_MSE_Debs Posts: 890 Forumite
edited 27 August 2013 at 10:58AM in MoneySaving polls
Poll started 28 Aug 2013

Customer service champion First Direct is planning to introduce a card reader that you'll always need to get full internet banking facilities. These devices are designed to improve security, but they also get on some people’s nerves. How do you feel about them?

Please tick the option closest to your view in this week's poll by clicking the link below:

Did you vote? Why did you pick that option? Are you surprised at the results so far? Have your say below clicking reply to discuss. If you haven’t already, join the forum to reply. If you aren’t sure how it all works, read our New to Forum? Intro Guide .

To see the results from last time, click this.

Comments

• pete_v
    pete_v Posts: 56 Forumite
    I did switch banks to avoid them. I also wrote to the new bank letting them know that this was the reason, and asking them to please avoid introducing card readers in future. So far they've shown no plans to do so. (Not that I think my one letter made a difference, but if enough of us made our preferences clear...). Instead, when I set up a payment to a new recipient, they make an automated phone call to my registered number (my mobile) and I type in a code to authorise the transaction. This seems acceptably secure against an attacker somehow accessing the Internet part of my account.

My friends and I quite often need to transfer money around; Faster Payments has made this quite a practical way to pay for a shared takeaway or trolleyful of shopping for a week away. But more and more people now say "I'll have to do that when I get home, I need one of those card reader things" - that's not progress.

Pete
  • Agree with pete. I also cited this as a reason when I changed banks, although it wasn't the only one.

One of the major advantages of internet banking - especially now that more of us have tablets and smartphones - is the ability to access your account anywhere and everywhere. The practice of issuing card readers pretty much limits you to internet banking at home, unless you make a habit of carrying the reader around with you.

I'm sure there are better alternatives.
  • Torry_Quine
    Torry_Quine Posts: 18,828 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Bake Off Boss!
    I'm really not bothered either way. As long as it's secure.
    Lost my soulmate so life is empty.

I can bear pain myself, he said softly, but I couldna bear yours. That would take more strength than I have -
    Diana Gabaldon, Outlander
  • Lagoon
    Lagoon Posts: 934 Forumite
    I'm with the (current) 40%.

I find it incredibly annoying, and there are some times when I've needed to make a payment but haven't had it with me. Very inconvenient, but not worth switching banks over, for me.
  • teeb
    teeb Posts: 392 Forumite
    I switched to First Direct to avoid them.

Now that First Direct is trying to introduce them, I am sorely tempted to switch away - I did write them a letter.

They are horrible things - especially when you have to use them every time you log in. At least with some banks (like RBS) you only have to use them to send payments to new people, and not just to log in and check balances.
  • Herbalus
    Herbalus Posts: 2,634 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    It's worth noting, for those who are wanting to send payments when they are out and about, that the mobile app doesn't allow you to make add new payees. Surely it can't be too hard to wait until you get home?

I have accounts with First Direct and Santander. Even though Santander have the OTP code sent to your mobile to make sure the transaction is authorised, they take their time processing new transactions, and query transactions (even blocking the account) to established payees. For this reason I divert all my online payments through First Direct, especially when it's a new payee, because I know that it will work. I just hope the new system, while more irritating than before, retains reliability and doesn't get hung up on security measures.
  • bagby
    bagby Posts: 828 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Hate my card reader. Used to go on banking site all the time, now the reader is upstairs or anywhere but near the computer. So rarely go on site now. Very inconvenient. Can't be bothered to change bank over it tho.
  • shammyjack
    shammyjack Posts: 2,685 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    It would help if the damned things actually worked.

I am on my 3rd from Smile as in spite of being ultra careful to enter codes correctly the previous 2 have thrown up incorrect calculations and locked themselves and my account.

I hate the bloody things !
  • alanq
    alanq Posts: 4,216 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    edited 28 August 2013 at 11:24AM
    MSE_Debs wrote: »
    Customer service champion First Direct is planning to introduce a card reader that you'll always need to get full internet banking facilities.

Get your facts straight MSE. First Direct is not about to introduce a card reader. It will be a SecureKey as currently issued by HSBC. Nor will this security device be a requirement as First Direct will be offering the option of using a smart phone app instead. Two errors in one sentence!!!!
    http://www1.firstdirect.com/1/2/securekey

Even with identical card readers / security devices different banks require them for different purposes. Some require them to log in others only for making payments or for setting up new payees. Customers' reactions will very much depend on these policies.
  • kkgree1
    kkgree1 Posts: 328 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    I don't have any problems with card readers generally, though I have seen the older generation struggle using them, particularly my mother in law who has Parkinsons and has very little dexterity. The HSBC secure key is apparently designed to fit in your wallet but she has so many problems using it and apparently there is no alternative! Very tempted to move all her accounts from them but it would be too much for her. I wish the banks would consider this before making internet banking difficult for some of the population!
    Mortgage free wannabe
    Mortgage (November 2010) £135,850
    Mortgage (November 2020) £4,784
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills