MSE News: Furniture stores' sale prices probed by OFT

"Six high street carpet and furniture retailers are under investigation for using artificially high prices..."
Read the full story:

Furniture stores' sale prices probed by OFT

OfficialStamp.gif

Click reply below to discuss. If you haven’t already, join the forum to reply. If you aren’t sure how it all works, read our New to Forum? Intro Guide.

Comments

• jobdone1
    jobdone1 Posts: 841 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Combo Breaker First Post
    Blimey in my view this has been going on for a very long time and someone has just woke up and realized. Well at least its a start.
  • richardw
    richardw Posts: 19,458 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    Whatever next?

"High street chemist retailers under investigation for artificially increasing prices by at least 50% so they don't lose out when offering 3 for 2 deals"
    Posts are not advice and must not be relied upon.
  • fionajbanana
    fionajbanana Posts: 1,611 Forumite
    According to the BBC news report, SCS and Carpetright have been named.

I just hope DFS are one of the other 4! Has there been a time where they don't have a sale?

DFS - Dodgy Fake Sales!
  • dotdash79
    dotdash79 Posts: 1,069 Forumite
    I'm shocked that it's taken this long to do something about it.
  • Coopdivi
    Coopdivi Posts: 3,412 Forumite
    A Norwich bed company has recently been fined £7000 for misleading sale prices.

http://www.edp24.co.uk/news/norwich_bed_firm_faces_160_000_bill_after_admitting_misleading_customers_on_sale_prices_1_2319839

Curiously they tried to claim over £152000 legal costs which seems a rather over inflated figure to me.
  • richardw
    richardw Posts: 19,458 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    edited 23 August 2013 at 12:30PM
    fionajbanana - don't forget these posts are searchable by google, so perhaps edit what some may call a defamatory remark.
    Posts are not advice and must not be relied upon.
  • Herbalus
    Herbalus Posts: 2,634 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    jobdone1 wrote: »
    Blimey in my view this has been going on for a very long time and someone has just woke up and realized. Well at least its a start.

I thought the same, but then again these process take a long time. There was a BBC Panorama programme about it a while ago, and they actively tracked prices for a few items in a few retailers over 6 months to see the fluctuations, and when specific furniture was in sales etc. If you're looking at the whole market, it may take some time to build up enough required evidence.
  • KTF
    KTF Posts: 4,820 Forumite
    First Post Combo Breaker First Anniversary
    This is more to do with human nature as I remember something along the lines that when a company stopped all these 'endless sales' the number of people buying something from them reduced but when the 'sale' was reintroduced (with no change in the actual price) the numbers went up again as people perceived that they were getting a 'bargain'.

Its a sales technique but seemingly one that the general public find hard to resist so the stores play along.
  • theblagger
    theblagger Posts: 2,027 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    From the university of stating the bleeding obvious ...
    This has been going on for years...one company that is rife with it is

http://www.argos.co.uk/static/Product/partNumber/7371495.htm?cmpid=COJUN&catalogId=10001&_%24ja=tsid%3A11674%7Cprd%3A1546795&storeId=10151&referredURL=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.argos.co.uk%2Fstatic%2FProduct%2FpartNumber%2F7371495.htm&referrer=COJUN

Most of their prices are done like this...Avoid if you can
    I refer to my byline below ...

Ad hominem
    An attack upon an opponent in order to discredit their arguement or opinion. Ad hominems are used by immature and/or unintelligent people because they are unable to counter their opponent using logic and intelligence.
  • minislim
    minislim Posts: 357 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    finally! this has been going on for years.

one in sofa company particular! not mentioning any names (but they never ever have a week without a sale) actually used to be used as a college business studies case example on dodgy practices. that was way back in 1998!

one subject was their sofa prices being over inflated in the first place.
    the other was the fact they where really a finance company selling you a loan and throwing effectively a "free" sofa in with the deal.

as usual the oft are a little slow off the mark!
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 342.9K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.6K Spending & Discounts
  • 235K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.7K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 172.9K Life & Family
  • 247.7K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure