Best exercise for toning upper back??

I'm hoping someone out there is able to offer up some helpful suggestions for me on how to tone my upper back area a bit more ahead of my wedding next year!

I'm a toned size 6, good BMI, and I exercise at least 4 times a week - a mix of HIIT, body pump, spinning, cardio and free weights in addition to around an hour of fast-paced walking every workday.

I build muscle fairly easily and already have some definition in my upper back so am keen not to bulk up too much, but I need to get rid of the fleshier bits around the underarm/bra band area on my back IYSWIM? I do already have some muscle here when I tense, so maybe it's simply a case of losing some weight? But really reluctant to go to extremes given my frame! :undecided

Thanks for reading!
MFW 2017 #123 2018: £1,852.64/£39,200 (4.7%)

Comments

• Push ups and pulls up :)

HBS x
    "I believe in ordinary acts of bravery, in the courage that drives one person to stand up for another."

"It's easy to know what you're against, quite another to know what you're for."

#Bremainer
  • Sundaysgirl
    Sundaysgirl Posts: 1,096 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Ugh, I was afraid you would say that... :) anything else??
  • Deadlifts, upright rows and bench presses, with heavy barbells?

HBS x
    "I believe in ordinary acts of bravery, in the courage that drives one person to stand up for another."

#Bremainer
  • Sundaysgirl
    Sundaysgirl Posts: 1,096 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Thanks, I do all of those already - maybe just need to up the weights and reps and keep at it!

Thanks for your suggestions!
  • Up the weight, drop the reps :) Heavy weight builds compact, dense muscle!

HBS x

#Bremainer
  • G_Model101
    G_Model101 Posts: 293 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Ok, this is probably going to sound ridiculous but I read it in a Charles Atlas training method ebook a few years ago and I swear by it....

Stand upright as if you are a soldier at ease with your hands infront of your private parts, link your two middle fingers and try to pull them apart. You'll look almost as if you are a body builder performing the "most muscular" pose.
    You can also do this with your arms out in front of you, I find it works my trapezius, biceps, chest and upper arms.
    Free, no weights involved and along with pressups, it's helped give me a core that is very well complimented, this despite me rarely "working out" at all.
  • adelight
    adelight Posts: 2,658 Forumite
    As well as push ups I find body brushing really helps reduce those fleshy bits. It's not permanent, but a morning and night brushing makes a noticable difference for a couple of days when i want to wear strapless dresses. I brush down firmly elbow to shoulder all sides of the upper arm x20 each arm, then firm brushes sweeping armpit to centre of chest x10 each, similar across the back x10.
    Living cheap in central London :rotfl:
  • Pull up, chin up, weighted pull up, weighted chin up, DB row, BB row, bent over rear delt fly, T bar row, shrugs, horizontal shrugs, bodyweight rows...

health.proconview.com/kyle-leon-scam/
  • Try lat pull down machine and trying varying the weight - helped me shift a few inches
    Competition Addict follow me twitter @emilliemoo
    *Wins 2014 Jan -Fake Bake Tan, Tropicana Lunch Box, Sunglasses, Apron, Baby Stuff! Feb - Weekend in Bath, £250, Megablox Table:j, Green Tea, London Fashion Week Tks & Goody Bag, Cheese, Pizza, Green Tea, Zebrano Bowl!
    “Determine that the thing can and shall be done and then... find the way.”
  • Also, why would you not want definition? I'd kill for more :)

HBS x

#Bremainer
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport