Tesco credit card

i have just applied for the tesco credit card as apparently you can transfer points from Tesco C Card to Avios as and when you choose.

Comments

• guesswho2000
    guesswho2000 Posts: 1,703
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Uniform Washer
    Forumite
    i have just applied for the tesco credit card as apparently you can transfer points from Tesco C Card to Avios as and when you choose.

Not quite, Tesco issue the points as clubcard vouchers quarterly; once the vouchers have been issued, you have up to two years to redeem them, one of the options being Avios.
  • Do you know if Tesco have times when you can get extra Avios for their points? if so, are those times well published?

Many Thanks
  • guesswho2000
    guesswho2000 Posts: 1,703
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Uniform Washer
    Forumite
    Do you know if Tesco have times when you can get extra Avios for their points? if so, are those times well published?

Many Thanks

It does happen, and they have published these in advance previously, but it doesn't appear to be a regular thing.

They won't publish a constant schedule of extra Avios offers, otherwise everyone would always save their vouchers for the offer periods.
  • luksakura
    luksakura Posts: 51 Forumite
    Hi, I'm in a bit of a mess and I'm trying to find a way out without it costing me a fortune.

After Anglian Home Improvements lied to me about cancelling, I am now stuck with a door and window order that I can no longer afford, I have tried negotiation a lower price and still feel worse off.

I was wondering if you can pay off finance agreement with the Tesco credit card and it be classed as an interest free purchase? As there is a £300 difference between the cash and the finance quote, I've checked the terms of the finance and there will be a fee, but only £50 which isn't that bad considering.

I'm new to this credit card business so any help will be much appreciated. Thanks.
  • ch3101
    ch3101 Posts: 296 Forumite
    You could withdraw £300 in cash from the card and pay it into the bank so that you could then pay off the finance?

Your main worry should be cancelling the finance. What kind of finance is it? Surely there is a grace period for cancellation?
  • vns
    vns Posts: 183 Forumite
    ch3101 wrote: »
    You could withdraw £300 in cash from the card and pay it into the bank so that you could then pay off the finance?

Your main worry should be cancelling the finance. What kind of finance is it? Surely there is a grace period for cancellation?

Never withdraw cash from a credit card.
    It will not be interest free and you will have to pay a fee too.

Only use them for spending - excluding gambling too.

Don't be burnt like me >.<
  • datlex
    datlex Posts: 2,237
    Name Dropper First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    Forumite
    Do you happen to know what the credit rating Tesco require is? I'm thinking of applying for a card for all the shopping I do with them both online and in store. Be good to get more points than I do at the moment. Handy for things like Christmas and Birthday presents especially when they have promotions on.
    Paid off the last of my unsecured debts in 2016. Then saved up and bought a property. Current aim is to pay off my mortgage as early as possible. Currently over paying every month. Mortgage due to be paid off in 2036 hoping to get it paid off much earlier. Set up my own bespoke spreadsheet to manage my money.
  • pqrdef
    pqrdef Posts: 4,552 Forumite
    datlex wrote: »
    I'm thinking of applying for a card for all the shopping I do with them
    You get card points for all card purchases wherever. There's no particular synergy between using a Tesco card and buying from Tesco.
    "It will take, five, 10, 15 years to get back to where we need to be. But it's no longer the individual banks that are in the wrong, it's the banking industry as a whole." - Steven Cooper, head of personal and business banking at Barclays, talking to Martin Lewis
  • Wire
    Wire Posts: 10 Forumite
    datlex wrote: »
    Do you happen to know what the credit rating Tesco require is? I'm thinking of applying for a card for all the shopping I do with them both online and in store. Be good to get more points than I do at the moment. Handy for things like Christmas and Birthday presents especially when they have promotions on.

I cant be exactly sure but my Mrs applied for this card and she cant get on the electoral roll as she isnt from the UK or EEC She has clean credit history for a year and half.. She was still accepted.

I find this card works out to be the equivalent 1% cashback.

This is how.

Spend £40 (for example)
    Earn 10 tesco points

When converting them to Avios £2.50 = 600 Avios
    That makes 10 Tesco points worth 24 Avios.

You need 9,000 Avios and £35 for a trip from the UK (even from the regions)to destinations in Europe such as Geneva.

These tickets would normally be priced at roughly £180-£190 (my own experience)

Hence £150/9000 leaves every Avios point worth 1.67p

1.67p * 24(the amount of points you got for the transaction)
    Hey presto, that's exactly 40p

You spent 40p on the Tesco Mastercard and you've made 1%
  • Declined the Halifax card for no apparent reason my Experian credit rating is 999

accepted by Tesco unfortunately unsure if I have applied incorrectly, I've been offered 9 month at 0% rather than the 18 month at 0% - have I got it wrong?
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 341.8K Banking & Borrowing
  • 249.7K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.2K Spending & Discounts
  • 234K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 606.2K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 172.5K Life & Family
  • 246.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure