We'd like to remind Forumites to please avoid political debate on the Forum. This is to keep it a safe and useful space for MoneySaving discussions. Threads that are - or become - political in nature may be removed in line with the Forum’s rules. Thank you for your understanding.

'Don't throw bank statements away after six years' blog discussion

Options
2»

Comments

• MaryEG
    Options
    Woodruffe wrote: »
    I have fallen foul of this. I had a credit card with Alliance and Leicester a number of years ago and PPI was put on it without my permission. Since then the account was transferred to Santander and then MBNA and I had undergone a number of house moves so all unnecessary paperwork was shredded and binned.

A simple letter and one stamp later MBNA had refunded me the PPI which fell under their jurisdiction but Santander were not so forthcoming. Even with account numbers and details gladly given to me by MBNA, Santander did not have any record as it was over 7 years ago. They were more than willing to process a refund if I could provide copies of the statements but obviously I could not! A very costly mistake I shall not be making again.
    Did you ever get anything from Santander? I am in exactly the same situation now.
  • benjus
    benjus Posts: 5,433 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    Trouble is, you don't know what the next misselling-type scandal is going to be. What if tomorrow they decided that the train companies had been overcharging for tickets for 15 years and allowed people to claim back a proportion of their train fares?

I recently had to make a financial declaration with one year's statements for all bank accounts (not including credit cards) I hold. That ran to over 150 pages. I just don't have the space to store paper records going back for years. However, I do try to periodically gather PDF statements from my banks' online services and keep them backed up in my own storage.
    Let's settle this like gentlemen: armed with heavy sticks
    On a rotating plate, with spikes like Flash Gordon
    And you're Peter Duncan; I gave you fair warning
  • jaylee3
    jaylee3 Posts: 2,127 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    My mother used to drive me mad by keeping all her bank statements, as far back as the 60's when the Midland Bank was still going! I used to do all her banking and pay her bills so I kept them all in order in files and this was such a godsend because when she died two of my sisters said that they had been giving my mother money each month for many years and that she promised to pay them back out of the sale of her house when she died. They didn't bank (pardon the pun!) on me having all her statements to disprove this which also included details of my mother giving THEM money!
    I have kept all mine and I am also about to go down the PPI route.

Nice one! :rotfl:

Although without any proof, your sisters would have not had a case!

I wonder, as YOU have the proof of mum giving your sisters money, if you can get it back off them, (like they were trying to get money off you IYSWIM.)
    (•_•)
    )o o)╯
    /___\
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 12 Election 2024: The MSE Leaders' Debate
  • 344.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.4K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 450.1K Spending & Discounts
  • 236.3K Work, Benefits & Business