🗳️ ELECTION 2024: THE MSE LEADERS' DEBATE Got a burning question you want us to ask the party leaders ahead of the general election? Submit your suggestions via this form or post them on our dedicated Forum board where you can see and upvote other users' questions. Please note that the Forum's rules on avoiding general political discussion still apply across all boards.

Cancelling a bank account with a credit card attached?

Options
Bosie
Bosie Posts: 1,218 Forumite
First Anniversary Combo Breaker
I am thinking of closing my HSBC account and also my Halifax account, I have an HSBC credit card which you can only have if you bank with them. I also have an Halifax Clarity card, so will I be able to keep them? I pay off the balance in full

Comments

• guesswho2000
    guesswho2000 Posts: 1,703 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Uniform Washer
    Options
    No idea about the HSBC, but you'll be able to keep the Clarity for sure, I got mine before I even had a Halifax current account.
  • jonesMUFCforever
    Options
    IMO bank accounts and credit cards are run separately.
    You should be able to close the accounts without it affecting the credit cards.
  • Bosie
    Options
    Thanks for replies, it's mainly the HSBC account as only HSBC account holders can apply for their credit card. Of the two I prefer the Halifax Clarity for when I travel.
  • opinions4u
    opinions4u Posts: 19,411 Forumite
    Options
    Could you not pick up the £5 reward on both the Halifax current account and credit card?
  • Bosie
    Options
    opinions4u wrote: »
    Could you not pick up the £5 reward on both the Halifax current account and credit card?

I was looking into the Santander 123 account as it would save me some money, good point though
  • cautiousjon
    Options
    You could always have both and get your salary paid into your Halifax account (to earn the £5) and then funnel it out to Santander for DDs / SOs / general spending.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 2 Election 2024: The MSE Leaders' Debate
  • 343.8K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.3K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 450K Spending & Discounts
  • 236K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 609.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.4K Life & Family
  • 248.6K Travel & Transport