PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! In order to help keep the Forum a useful, safe and friendly place for our users, discussions around non-MoneySaving matters are not permitted per the Forum rules. While we understand that mentioning house prices may sometimes be relevant to a user's specific MoneySaving situation, we ask that you please avoid veering into broad, general debates about the market, the economy and politics, as these can unfortunately lead to abusive or hateful behaviour. Threads that are found to have derailed into wider discussions may be removed. Users who repeatedly disregard this may have their Forum account banned. Please also avoid posting personally identifiable information, including links to your own online property listing which may reveal your address. Thank you for your understanding.

Completion Day - What are the first things I need to do?

Options
2»

Comments

• catflapuk
    catflapuk Posts: 60 Forumite
    Options
    Thankfully not. I ordered it with my debit card. I never get any credit except for purchasing a home. My concern is something goes wrong before completion although there is absolutely nothing to worry about.
  • Mylo_The_Moggy
    Options
    Yorkie1 wrote: »
    You're unlikely to get the keys until lunchtime, so in the morning ensure your phone is fully charged / you don't go far from the landline (whichever route the solicitor uses to contact you) so that they can tell you when you've completed!

I moved in a few days after completion, so know what you're doing. I went round a couple of hours after completion (to make sure the sellers would have gone), and one of the first things to do is do meter readings - gas, elec, water. Make a note on paper and also take photos if you have a camera to hand. You can tell the companies the next week, but get the readings to hand immediately.

One thing which I wasn't ready for when I first walked into the house, was how dingy it appeared. Pictures and furniture brighten a place up and you don't see the dirt marks around where the picture frames have been. Your house may not be like this, but be prepared.

I then spent time doing cleaning, so take cleaning stuff with you - duster, hoover, brush, sponge, toilet brush / bleach for bathroom etc. If you like music or radio on in the background, take something with you for that. Take kettle and teabags / cups / milk / biscuits. Or just the champagne and wine glasses!!

If you have the option of staying a little longer at your parents, consider whether there's any redecoration you'd like to do before you start to move large furniture into the house.

I also ordered white goods after exchange on my existing credit card (do not take out extra credit until you've completed), for delivery after completion (I completed on a Friday but didn't move in until the Tuesday, when the white goods were delivered).

Set up a post re-direction now.

Good luck!

This ^^^^^^^^^

Totally sound advice & is mostly what we did when we completed. :T
    Good luck with everything!
  • fart
    fart Posts: 376 Forumite
    Options
    You're unlikely to get the keys until lunchtime, so in the morning ensure your phone is fully charged / you don't go far from the landline (whichever route the solicitor uses to contact you) so that they can tell you when you've completed!

I moved in a few days after completion, so know what you're doing. I went round a couple of hours after completion (to make sure the sellers would have gone), and one of the first things to do is do meter readings - gas, elec, water. Make a note on paper and also take photos if you have a camera to hand. You can tell the companies the next week, but get the readings to hand immediately.

One thing which I wasn't ready for when I first walked into the house, was how dingy it appeared. Pictures and furniture brighten a place up and you don't see the dirt marks around where the picture frames have been. Your house may not be like this, but be prepared.

I then spent time doing cleaning, so take cleaning stuff with you - duster, hoover, brush, sponge, toilet brush / bleach for bathroom etc. If you like music or radio on in the background, take something with you for that. Take kettle and teabags / cups / milk / biscuits. Or just the champagne and wine glasses!!

If you have the option of staying a little longer at your parents, consider whether there's any redecoration you'd like to do before you start to move large furniture into the house.

I also ordered white goods after exchange on my existing credit card (do not take out extra credit until you've completed), for delivery after completion (I completed on a Friday but didn't move in until the Tuesday, when the white goods were delivered).

Good luck!
    Excellent post!
  • Dan-Dan
    Dan-Dan Posts: 5,272 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    fart wrote: »
    Excellent post!

Yorkies posts always are
    Never, under any circumstances, take a sleeping pill and a laxative on the same night.
  • Yorkie1
    Yorkie1 Posts: 11,564 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Aww, ta (the cheque's in the post!)
  • Old_Git
    Old_Git Posts: 4,744 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Mortgage-free Glee! Cashback Cashier
    Options
    check you have toilet seat ( I didnt have one ) bum paper, light bulbs , keys for all doors and windows ,check electric ,gas ,Oil tank if you have one .
    "Do not regret growing older, it's a privilege denied to many"
  • Hermoine
    Hermoine Posts: 91 Forumite
    Options
    Take a deep breath. Your house will look different without furniture, and it might all seem a bit much. As you walk around the rooms your "to do list" will get longer and longer. I've never walked into a house at this point and not felt a little disheartened - in fact I think I sat on the (horrible brown) carpet of the first house I bought and cried... Remind yourself of why you bought it, and also remind yourself that not everything that's wrong needs to be sorted out immediately. And then have that glass of champagne.

Oh, and make the time to say hello to the neighbours whenever they first appear. Apologise in advance for large removal vans/building works/random banging noises, and they will be much more understanding.
  • redev2005
    Options

Good luck!

As usual, thanks for this excellent advice.:T
  • Mylo_The_Moggy
    Options
    Old_Git wrote: »
    check you have toilet seat ( I didnt have one )

Neither did we!!! And we moved in January when we were having the bad snow, :( so nothing like having a cold bum when ya sat on the pot lol. :D
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.5K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.6K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.6K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.2K Life & Family
  • 248.2K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure