Credit card will work in shops but not online...

Options
Hi. I have an M&S credit card and this morning it was rejected by my gas/elec supplier and again by an established online retailer. No details were given, but I made several attempts and it definitely wasn't working.

Later in the day I successfully used it in a supermarket, no problems. And a few days ago I used it online to buy plane tickets - a moderate sum coming to about 20% of the remaining credit on the card.

In my online account for the card all seems normal and I have nothing flagged up there. Can anyone think what the problem might be?

Thanks!

Comments

• chattychappy
    chattychappy Posts: 7,302 Forumite
    Options
    I had a similar issue with an MBNA card. Then I got rejected when I called them up.

Turns out the CVV wasn't printed properly and an 8 looked like a 6.
  • InsideInsurance
    InsideInsurance Posts: 22,460 Forumite
    First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    As your card issuer, they'll be able to confirm why the payments were rejected

CVC could be printed wrong, online transactions may be blocked, your address may be stored slightly strangely thus failing AVS checks etc
  • ijrwe
    ijrwe Posts: 428 Forumite
    Options
    As your card issuer, they'll be able to confirm why the payments were rejected

CVC could be printed wrong, online transactions may be blocked, your address may be stored slightly strangely thus failing AVS checks etc

It must be a recent change since I've used the card online successfully many times before.

I'll try to get in touch with them and find out.
  • ijrwe
    ijrwe Posts: 428 Forumite
    Options
    ijrwe wrote: »
    It must be a recent change since I've used the card online successfully many times before.

I'll try to get in touch with them and find out.

Yes, so it turned out that they had frozen the card following the "suspicious" activity of buying plane and train tickets. But, only frozen for online purchases it would seem.

Thanks for the replies.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.6K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.8K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.3K Life & Family
  • 248.4K Travel & Transport