🗳️ ELECTION 2024: THE MSE LEADERS' DEBATE Got a burning question you want us to ask the party leaders ahead of the general election? Submit your suggestions via this form or post them on our dedicated Forum board where you can see and upvote other users' questions. Please note that the Forum's rules on avoiding general political discussion still apply across all boards.

credit card denied

Options
Hi,

first of all apologies for going over what i am sure is old ground. i am trying to get my credit rating up because in a year or two i want to get a mortgage and as i was advised to get a credit card (i have never had one before) i recently applied for a credit card from my bank which was turned down. Since then i have signed up with Equifax to find out what my credit score was, it actually came back as good the only issue was not being on the electoral roll at my new address. As it stands i don`t have much on credit, just an account with Very and standing orders for phone and home insurance. Should i wait and apply again (if so for how long), try another card or is there anything else i can do to get my rating up?

Comments

• dotdash79
    dotdash79 Posts: 1,069 Forumite
    Options
    Try getting on the electoral roll this will make a massive difference. also look at something like a capital one card first the interest is high and the credit offered is low but you are going to be paying it off every month so won't get charged interest.

Wait until you are on the electoral roll first, and whatever you do don't get a pay day loan.
  • DeeJames
    DeeJames Posts: 7 Forumite
    First Post Combo Breaker First Anniversary
    Options
    dotdash79 wrote: »
    Try getting on the electoral roll this will make a massive difference. also look at something like a capital one card first the interest is high and the credit offered is low but you are going to be paying it off every month so won't get charged interest.

Wait until you are on the electoral roll first, and whatever you do don't get a pay day loan.

definitely will not get a pay day loan, i don`t even want a credit card - i`m just trying to get my credit score as good as i can before i apply for a mortgage.

I`m in the process of sorting out the electoral roll side of things and after that`s done will look into something like the capital one card.
  • dotdash79
    dotdash79 Posts: 1,069 Forumite
    Options
    What mortgage companies are looking for is that you are able to manage your money, the best way of doing this is by using a credit card to pay for an expense you have (i.e. petrol) then paying off the card every month.

If you get a card that gives an interest free free period of 56 days then you won't even pay any interest. Do this for about 6 months and you should be shape for looking at a mortgage.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 7 Election 2024: The MSE Leaders' Debate
  • 343.8K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.3K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 450K Spending & Discounts
  • 236K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 609.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.4K Life & Family
  • 248.6K Travel & Transport