We’d like to remind Forumites to please avoid political debate on the Forum.

This is to keep it a safe and useful space for MoneySaving discussions. Threads that are – or become – political in nature may be removed in line with the Forum’s rules. Thank you for your understanding.

📨 Have you signed up to the Forum's new Email Digest yet? Get a selection of trending threads sent straight to your inbox daily, weekly or monthly!

AA (at £57) or Green Flag (£52)

WLM21
WLM21 Posts: 1,682 Forumite
Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts Name Dropper Combo Breaker
I am about to take out breakdown insurance, fro UK only, with home start and relay options.

With cash-back (yes, I know these are not guaranteed) the prices come out at about

AA £57
GreenFlag £52

Which is the better option ... taking into effect quality of service etc.

Yes, I know the AA will charge more next year, but as others have recommended on parts of this forum, I'll just change companies every year, or haggle.

thank you

Comments

  • scotsbob
    scotsbob Posts: 4,632 Forumite
    Homestart, breakdown and relay for you and partner for any vehicle is £39 with Autoaid, recommended by moneysavingexpert.
  • macman
    macman Posts: 53,129 Forumite
    Part of the Furniture 10,000 Posts Name Dropper
    Another vote for Autoaid. But be aware that this is a pay and reclaim policy, not a conventional breakdown policy.
    No free lunch, and no free laptop ;)
  • WLM21
    WLM21 Posts: 1,682 Forumite
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts Name Dropper Combo Breaker
    edited 9 August 2013 at 8:20PM
    macman wrote: »
    Another vote for Autoaid. But be aware that this is a pay and reclaim policy, not a conventional breakdown policy.

    I actually heard about Autoaid previously, but as I don't have a credit card (through choice) it may prove difficult

    Just imagine I was in Devon, and needed to be taken home to Newcastle upon Tyne, what sort of cost would be involved ?

    OK, the money is reimbursed, but having to perhaps pay several hundred pounds up front may be a problem

    I suppose, I could always apply for a credit card and just leave it in the car, just in case .

    Thanks for your advice

    Just noticed, they also operate Autonational Rescue, a conventional type breakdown service. Quidco offer 17.5% cashback on this too. Their top option is £66 (£54.45 with cashback)
  • Ultrasonic
    Ultrasonic Posts: 4,266 Forumite
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts Name Dropper Photogenic
    WLM21 wrote: »
    I actually heard about Autoaid previously, but as I don't have a credit card (through choice) it may prove difficult
    In that case I'd recommend Autonational Rescue, who I've happily used for over a decade and have been happy with their service on the 4 or 5 times I think I needed to use it. The headline cost is £66 for 15 months for new members, and ther is cashback available from Top Cashback. (Not guaranteed but it paid out for me last year.)
This discussion has been closed.
★ ★ ★ Meet your Ambassadors

🚀 Getting Started

Hi new member!

Our Getting Started Guide will help you get the most out of the Forum

Categories

  • All Categories
  • 355.6K Banking & Borrowing
  • 254.8K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 456.1K Spending & Discounts
  • 248.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 605.7K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 179K Life & Family
  • 263.5K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 16.1K Discuss & Feedback
  • 37.7K Read-Only Boards

Is this how you want to be seen?

We see you are using a default avatar. It takes only a few seconds to pick a picture.