NPower: Unexpected massive increase in monthly paymnets

Options
13»

Comments

• Kernel_Sanders
    Options
    hopperson wrote: »
    I have been in touch with my bank [Santander] who have agreed an increase in my overdraft limit. The small annual bonus we got from work (around £350 net) which I was going to use for a birthday weekend away for me and my wife (its her 50th) has had to be cancelled so that we don't go overdrawn this month...

Really not impressed. I've tried applying for a loan before through the bank but been rejected due to my credit rating, I think.

I'm already paying £140 monthly for Barclaycard and £40 monthly on my Argos card...

Anyone any suggestions?
    Yes - try living within your means, same as I have to.
    I've had no holiday (or £350 weekend away) for years.
  • hopperson
    hopperson Posts: 44 Forumite
    edited 15 August 2013 at 3:17PM
    Options
    Thanks for all your advice...

I've been in touch with my two main creditors - Barclaycard and Argos card - and requested a reduction in my monthly payments due to 'financial hardship'. I am awaiting a response from Barclaycard, but Argos have said that because I am up to date with payments I'll need to contact them if I'm not able to make the next payment due.

I have also put together a letter of complaint to NPower - with two basic points: (1) I did not receive an email in June advising me that a new bill had been issued; (2) it's poor customer service to let new customers pay a monthly amount which is a lot less than the cost of the energy used, only reassessing usage after six months, but which time a large debt has built up; it's immoral to then slap that outstanding balance on the next bill, increasing monthly bills by 400% assuming customers are able to meet these increases.

I have also got in touch with my MP to make them aware of the situation and setting out the main points of my complaint about NPower.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.5K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.6K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.6K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.2K Life & Family
  • 248.2K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure