Saving for a House diary

eck1810
eck1810 Posts: 1 Newbie
edited 1 August 2013 at 1:09PM in How much have you saved?
Hi everyone,
recently joined the forum and enjoyed reading all your stories about saving. I am 22 year old male living in Aberdeen and desperate to move out my parents house into a place of my own. I work full time and earn a good wage for my age but i'm awful at saving. House prices in Aberdeen are very high which means a deposit of about 20k+ will be needed. I could rent a place but see that as just throwing money away when i could just save it while living at my parents for a bit longer. looking to save £600-1000 a month. I was lucky enough to inherit money but i've put that away in a safe place and set myself a target of 10,000 over a year which is a very ambitious target but managable. Looking to start a diary of my saving and hopefully all goes to plan. any advice will be much appreciated

Thanks

Comments

• Good luck eck1810 :D
    97 months until I qualify!:dance:
  • Hi!

Looks like you've got the right idea. A year or two saving and putting up with your parents will save many, many painful years of desperately trying to save while renting.

As your goal is a little more long term, and you're still very young, don't scrimp every penny. It's important to enjoy life as well! I have a friend who is literally scrimping every single penny he can for saving up for his deposit, and he's desperately boring!
  • FreddieFrugal
    FreddieFrugal Posts: 1,750 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    I have a friend who is literally scrimping every single penny he can for saving up for his deposit, and he's desperately boring!

Sounds like me! :rotfl:
    Mortgage remaining: £42,260 of £77,000 (2.59% til 03/18 - 2.09% til 03/23)

Savings target June 18 - £22,281.99 / £25,000
  • Good luck eck.

I'm less than a decade older than you. I've decided it's time to move to somewhere closer to the equator. preferably some tax haven style country. This forum is full of tricks that are really helpful, I've started to learn ;)
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure