Redundancy pay?

Options
Hi, the company I work for is about to close and go into administration, I have only worked for them for 18 months and know that this doesn't entitle me to government redundancy as standard but in February of this year I was given a 5 year term contract from my employer and wondered if this has any effect on my claim for redundancy?
Thanks in advance

Alan

Comments

• anamenottaken
    anamenottaken Posts: 4,198 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Hi, the company I work for is about to close and go into administration, I have only worked for them for 18 months and know that this doesn't entitle me to government redundancy as standard but in February of this year I was given a 5 year term contract from my employer and wondered if this has any effect on my claim for redundancy?
    Thanks in advance

Alan

Statutory redundancy pay is based on the length of completed years of service at the effective date of the termination of employment, the minimum being two years' service as you have realised.

The projected length of your contract does not have a bearing on this. You will still be short of the required service as your current statutory notice period is one week.

May Administrators keep you on while things are sorted or does "about to close" mean you expect to lose your job within the next couple of weeks?
  • zzzLazyDaisy
    zzzLazyDaisy Posts: 12,497 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    edited 2 August 2013 at 7:18PM
    Options
    You may be entitled to some assistance from the govt insolvency service

https://www.gov.uk/your-rights-if-your-employer-is-insolvent/claiming-money-owed-to-you

the 5 yr contract is irrelevant as they only pay out for statutory notice pay, wages owed, that sort of thing. But as someone else has said, the administrators may keep you on.
    I'm a retired employment solicitor. Hopefully some of my comments might be useful, but they are only my opinion and not intended as legal advice.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.4K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.8K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.5K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.3K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.2K Life & Family
  • 248.1K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure