Credit History

Hi All, Just hoping for some simple advice.

I would like to know my credit score, i have no reason to think it is bad however i am 23, looking to buy a house within the next 6 months. I want to try get my credit score as high as possible to ensure a decent mortgage.

I was wondering is there anywhere you can get it for FREE.
Ive tried Noddle, and it gives me their rating for free but you have to pay £30 for 12 months access to see your actual credit file

Thanks,

Matt.
Save as much as possible in 2012
Motivate myself to save money

Replies

• Try this one i joined it yesterday best one i have used. Free for 30 days then £7.99 a month afterwards

Checkmyfile.com
  • matttyematttye Forumite
    4.8K Posts
    Tenth Anniversary 1,000 Posts Combo Breaker Debt-free and Proud!
    Noddle is free for life to see your credit report. The scores that the credit reference agencies provide are useless. It's the information in the reports you need to consider.
    What will your verse be?

R.I.P Robin Williams.
  • CKhalvashiCKhalvashi Forumite
    11.2K Posts
    Part of the Furniture 10,000 Posts Photogenic Name Dropper
    Forumite
    I can see my file through Noddle, which is free for life.

CK
    💙💛 💔

I can spell, my iPad can't.
  • nicp60nicp60 Forumite
    457 Posts
    Debt-free and Proud!
    Make sure you're following the links correctly on the Noddle homepage. As Matttye said, Noddle is free for life and you should be able to see your whole credit report on there.

There's no such thing as a universal credit score - you don't have a score attached to you! Individual lenders will look at your report and 'rate' you based on their own criteria (which they don't divulge).

The scores that Experian, checkmyfile etc sell you are completely useless. You'll see people on here with 999 scores (out of 999) who have defaults and bankruptcies in the past!:eek:

Get your statutory credit reports from Equifax and Experian. They are the credit reference agencies. Check that all the information is correct and that you are on the electoral roll (very important), and that you have some form of credit history - credit card paid off each month etc. These reports will cost you £2 each. Correct any errors and make sure until you apply for a mortgage that you don't get any new credit. I wouldn't recommend checkmyfile, as it's a 3rd party who doesn't actually have anything to do with the credit reference agencies. Use the ones that the banks use - Noddle, equifax and experian.
    Fritterati Challenge for 2013:
    £2202/£3000 saved (73%) :j
    Take lunch to work and stop frittering!

• Right i see.
    Ive looked now and ive seen that its saying all my payments on my cards are good etc.
    I guess its worth just paying £2 and getting a credit score next.
    Save as much as possible in 2012
    Motivate myself to save money
  • matttyematttye Forumite
    4.8K Posts
    Tenth Anniversary 1,000 Posts Combo Breaker Debt-free and Proud!
    MattGlass wrote: »
    Right i see.
    Ive looked now and ive seen that its saying all my payments on my cards are good etc.
    I guess its worth just paying £2 and getting a credit score next.

Give the £2 to charity, it'd be a better use for it! Those scores really are useless.
    What will your verse be?

R.I.P Robin Williams.
This discussion has been closed.
Latest MSE News and Guides

Fans demand refunds from Leeds Festival

...after Rage Against The Machine pulls out

MSE News

The 'Ask An Expert' event

Check out last week's energy-themed Q&A with MSE's experts

MSE Forum

Free museums & galleries

Where to get your culture fix across the UK