Most generous mortgage lender?

Hello,

I am looking to apply for a mortgage as a single applicant. My other half has a CCJ from 4 years ago (silly mistake, excellent credit history since then).

Untill this has been removed from his record I am applying for a mortgage soley in my name. Some banks will lend me more than others even though I am using the same incoming and outgoing figures using their online calculators.

Does anyone know which lenders are more generous than others? At the moment Nationwide is coming up tops.

We have a 30% cash deposit so our LTV under the 70% - Nationwide have excellent rates at 2.89% fixed for 4 years, so also does anyone know other lenders with such a good rate?

Thanks in advance!

Comments

• kingstreet
    kingstreet Posts: 38,754 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    How much was the CCJ for, when was it registered and what is the date of satisfaction?

Is there anything else to worry about in the case? Defaults, late payments, poor current account conduct?
    I am a mortgage broker. You should note that this site doesn't check my status as a Mortgage Adviser, so you need to take my word for it. This signature is here as I follow MSE's Mortgage Adviser Code of Conduct. Any posts on here are for information and discussion purposes only and shouldn't be seen as financial advice. Please do not send PMs asking for one-to-one-advice, or representation.
  • _Andy_
    _Andy_ Posts: 11,150 Forumite
    You need to post the amount you are actually wanting to borrow and your income.
  • cstreet
    cstreet Posts: 29 Forumite
    How much was the CCJ for? £18,000
    When was it registered? April 2009
    What is the date of satisfaction? April 2013

Is there anything else to worry about in the case? Defaults, late payments, poor current account conduct? - Everything else is fine, all payments up to date, bills paid, no defaults.

You need to post the amount you are actually wanting to borrow: £200,000
    Your income - £38,100

Thanks!
  • cstreet
    cstreet Posts: 29 Forumite
    I should add that at this stage it is only me applying for a mortgage, not my partner. We do not have any joint accounts.

Thanks for any help
  • rob404uk
    rob404uk Posts: 177 Forumite
    I would think borrowing 200 would be a push. 160/70 more realistic. Have you tried the how much we will lend tools on their sites?
  • Thrugelmir
    Thrugelmir Posts: 89,546 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary First Post
    cstreet wrote: »

You need to post the amount you are actually wanting to borrow: £200,000
    Your income - £38,100

Highly unlikely. As that's over 5 times gross income.
  • _Andy_
    _Andy_ Posts: 11,150 Forumite
    can't see any lender doing over 5x income at all.
  • GMS
    GMS Posts: 5,388 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Income multiples will make this difficult.

Whose is the deposit? Yours, partners or joint?

May well be options for a joint mortgage. Broker could well be useful here to see how it can be done. May be a case of getting what you can rather than chasing best rates
    I am a Mortgage Adviser
    You should note that this site doesn't check my status as a mortgage adviser, so you need to take my word for it. This signature is here as I follow MSE's Mortgage Adviser Code of Conduct. Any posts on here are for information and discussion purposes only and shouldn't be seen as financial advice.
  • ACG
    ACG Posts: 23,720 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post I've helped Parliament
    Go and see a Mortgage broker. With the age of the default and the amount of deposit there are lenders who will ignore it. It can then be done on your 2 incomes.

Decent broker (not an estate agent one) and i would be confident this can be placed (and at decent enough rates).
    I am a Mortgage Adviser
    You should note that this site doesn't check my status as a mortgage adviser, so you need to take my word for it. This signature is here as I follow MSE's Mortgage Adviser Code of Conduct. Any posts on here are for information and discussion purposes only and shouldn't be seen as financial advice.
  • Dave_Ham
    Dave_Ham Posts: 6,045 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Echo above, whilst your accounts are not linked some lenders will not like it. This will change to not accept it if any of the deposit is coming from partner and/or partners family. You also say we have, which suggests it is a joint deposit.

From the highlights provided, forget market leading rates and consider a joint mortgage on fair rates and remortgage in 2 years time..

As stated, age of the default and satisfaction will provide options as will your deposit.

Good luck
    I am a Mortgage Broker
    You should note that this site doesn't check my status as a Mortgage Broker, so you need to take my word for it.
    This signature is here as I follow MSE's Mortgage Adviser code of conduct. Any posts on here are for information and discussion purposes only and shouldn't be seen as financial advice.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.9K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure