changing from esa to jsa and telling hb, ctb etc

jane87 Forumite Posts: 22 Forumite
hi, my husband wants to close his esa claim and i want to start claiming a jsa claim.

Is it best to tell housing benefit, council tax benefit, tax credits and free meals whilst awaiting decisons or not tell them until first payment of jsa has come through?

We are worried that there will be a period where we will lose entitlement even though in effect our money will be reduced.



  • Housing_Benefit_Officer
    Housing_Benefit_Officer Forumite Posts: 2,502
    1,000 Posts Combo Breaker
    Our systems are joined up via ATLAS - when your claim stops we get notified automatically and your HB/LCTS will stop. Speak to the Benefits Department and make them aware of what is happening to your claim can continue while your are swapping benefits. Your Tax Credits are separate - tell them what is going to happen so they can continue and I wouldn't worry about informing your council regarding free meals until after you know it has been re awarded. Most important thing is you continue getting your rent paid.
    These are my own views and you should seek advice from your local Benefits Department or CAB.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors


  • All Categories
  • 338.9K Banking & Borrowing
  • 248.7K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 447.6K Spending & Discounts
  • 230.8K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 600.9K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 171.1K Life & Family
  • 244K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.9K Discuss & Feedback
  • 15.1K Coronavirus Support Boards