IMPORTANT REMINDER: Please make sure your posts do not contain any personally identifiable information. If you are uploading images, please take extra care that you have redacted all personal information.
Advent-ures in the MSE Forum... Our Advent calendar is live, helping you discover a new corner of the community each day. Visit the homepage and scroll down

Private Ticket for parking outside of bay.

Hi,

A few months back I received a private parking ticket on a FREE car park for parking outside of a bay. It is not council owned. It was incredibly quiet as it was late evening, so the space was not needed by anybody else, and it was hardly out of the bay anyway. I see people (usually with nice cars that they don't want to scratch, haha) taking up two full bays all the time. Anyway, I digress.

The letters came, we ignored. The one that we got about 6 weeks ago said that it had to be paid within 3 weeks or it would go to court.

Another letter came this morning from a solicitor's saying that if they didn't get payment in 14 days they would start legal proceedings.

It is normal for them to say that they WILL, and then not bother? There's all of the scare tactics about more costs if it goes to court, dinting credit rating etc etc. Is it normal to pass it on to a solicitor but then take it no further.

And, more to the point, if it DOES go to court, where do I stand legally?

It might help to add that we no longer own the car in question. I have no idea whether this is relevant, but I suppose it might be.

Replies

• StromaStroma Forumite
    8K Posts
    Uniform Washer
    Who is the parking company? You are past any appeals that you can do so it pointless speaking to the debt collectors or solicitors, its highly unlikely to go to court. Who are the solicitors by the way ?

Thanks
    When posting a parking issue on MSE do not reveal any information that may enable PPCs to identify you. They DO monitor the forum.
    We don't need the following to help you.
    Name, Address, PCN Number, Exact Date Of Incident, Date On Invoice, Reg Number, Vehicle Picture, The Time You Entered & Left Car Park, Or The Amount of Time You Overstayed.
    :beer: Anti Enforcement Hobbyist Member :beer:
  • Stroma wrote: »
    Who is the parking company? You are past any appeals that you can do so it pointless speaking to the debt collectors or solicitors, its highly unlikely to go to court. Who are the solicitors by the way ?

Thanks

It's PCN (NW) LTD and the solicitors are gpb.

Obviously I've read a lot on here that says to ignore, but it seems as though if they're going as far as to hire a solicitor they might mean business!
  • StromaStroma Forumite
    8K Posts
    Uniform Washer
    That company has not issued a single claim in the last 8 months, and I suspect they have never been to a court in their existence , see this foi request linked on the link below

http://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/showthread.php?t=4726872

Ignore is the advice now unless you get a letter before claim, or small claim from the parking company, both are extremely unlikely.
    When posting a parking issue on MSE do not reveal any information that may enable PPCs to identify you. They DO monitor the forum.
    Name, Address, PCN Number, Exact Date Of Incident, Date On Invoice, Reg Number, Vehicle Picture, The Time You Entered & Left Car Park, Or The Amount of Time You Overstayed.
  • Stroma wrote: »
    That company has not issued a single claim in the last 8 months, and I suspect they have never been to a court in their existence , see this foi request linked on the link below

Ignore is the advice now unless you get a letter before claim, or small claim from the parking company, both are extremely unlikely.

Thank you so much for your help. They really shouldn't be allowed to do this. I've been on edge about it since before Christmas now, it's always on the back of my mind, losing sleep, on ADs (not just because of this but it's not nice..) etc.. had about 6 letters altogether now, driving me insane, and part of me wishes I'd just paid in the first place.. but my morals are stronger than my anxiety at the moment and I will NOT be giving them a penny.. unless forced.. thank you again.
  • StromaStroma Forumite
    8K Posts
    Uniform Washer
    No problem, we are you here to give you moral support and some spine if you feel like caving in. They will give up as they will cut their losses and go after other mugs who might pay up.
  • edited 11 August 2013 at 11:52PM
    Coupon-madCoupon-mad
    111.7K Posts
    Part of the Furniture 10,000 Posts Name Dropper Photogenic
    Forumite
    edited 11 August 2013 at 11:52PM
    It's PCN (NW) LTD and the solicitors are gpb.

Obviously I've read a lot on here that says to ignore, but it seems as though if they're going as far as to hire a solicitor they might mean business!

Similar to this thread, read it all:

http://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/showthread.php?t=4730463

If it's a 'Letter Before Claim' (LBC) then DO NOT IGNORE IT is my advice, unless like the poster above you hre ahppy to await the possibility of a small claim and then act to defend. If aiming to deal with and rebut this LBC then don't panic, just follow this guide to acknowledge it then rebut with a full response:

http://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/showthread.php?t=4705657

Read the first post in blue then look at post #45 by zzzLazyDaisy and post on there to alert her if you update this thread of yours with an 'acknowledgement'. Here's a thread where someone with a different LBC (Parking Eye) has done just that, so far, and will follow it with a full response to try to knock the whole thing on the head and make their case not worth pursuing (if that was ever the plan in your case with little old PCN(NW), who knows as unlike Parking Eye, they aren't a 'big player' in PPC World and GBP letters are not yet known to ever be the precursor to an actual small claim, were only ever a scare tactic):

http://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/showthread.php?t=4727436

HTH, if you do respond remember it's not an appeal, it must be strong and designed make your case too 'hot' to bother with as far as GBP & their client are concerned.

Also COMPLAIN TO THE LANDOWNER/RETAIL SHOP/CINEMA or whatever on site, in writing, if you were using their facilities. Tell them you will never darken their doors again and they have lost the business of your entire family (and facebook contacts) if they allow their rogue parking agent to continue with this harassment of a customer. Has been known to work on lots of occasions as the car park owner/manager calls the shots.
    PRIVATE 'PCN'? DON'T PAY BUT DON'T IGNORE IT (except N.Ireland).
    CLICK at the top of this/any page where it says:
    Forum Home»Motoring»Parking Tickets Fines & Parking - read the NEWBIES THREAD
This discussion has been closed.
Latest MSE News and Guides

Is your local HSBC closing?

114 branches to shut in 2023

MSE News

Advent Competitions

The countdown is on

MSE Forum

Baileys £10 for 1L at Tesco

When you scan your Clubcard

MSE Deals