Amazon Prime - Worth It?

Options
Not sure if this is the right board, please move if not...

I have been an Amazon customer for a long time and was wondering if the Amazon Prime service is worth the £50 annual fee or not? I have given it a free trial and was impressed with the speedy delivery and despite saying we won't use it that much, I find myself using Amazon fairly frequently as I buy brithday/Xmas and similar gifts there as I hate shopping in the high street.

Now they have restructured some of their delivery charges, I wondered if Prime represented better value? Anyone else here a Prime member? Views?

Comments

• sarah1972
    sarah1972 Posts: 18,948 Senior Ambassador
    Homepage Hero Photogenic Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    I did the free trial and then promptly cancelled as everything I have bought recently has been free super saver delivery and I am never in rush for Amazone purchases so personally I dont think its worth it really.

This week I have ordered 8 things all with free delivery so the £50 would have been wasted on me.

Others may disagree though.
    I’m a Senior Forum Ambassador and I support the Forum Team on Competitions Time, Shopping & Freebies boards, Employment, Jobseeking & Training boards If you need any help on these boards, do let me know. Please note that Ambassadors are not moderators. Any posts you spot in breach of the Forum Rules should be reported via the report button, or by emailing forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com. All views are my own and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.
  • moneypooh
    moneypooh Posts: 2,217 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    I've been a prime customer for 2 years and it has saved us loads of money.
  • jonesMUFCforever
    jonesMUFCforever Posts: 28,898 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    Amazon prime - what it does is makes your brain think to get my £50 back I must buy loads from Amazon -clever marketing ploy or what?

I use price comparison sites for the cheapest - Amazon are not always cheap these days.
  • rosalie-lavender
    Options
    We have got Amazon prime. It works for us because with 3 adult children living at home we get a lot from Amazon between us. We clubbed together and paid £10 each and the others are invited guests on my prime account. They all have their own Amazon accounts and when they are away at university they have their parcels delivered to their uni addresses still free with prime.

To do this though all accounts must be registered to the same address.
  • sharon7_2
    sharon7_2 Posts: 176 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Amazon prime - what it does is makes your brain think to get my £50 back I must buy loads from Amazon -clever marketing ploy or what?

I use price comparison sites for the cheapest - Amazon are not always cheap these days.

What price comparison website do you use? Thanks :j
  • pmduk
    pmduk Posts: 10,655 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Combo Breaker
    edited 1 August 2013 at 12:05PM
    Options
    It isn't worth it for me. I considered it for the Kindle Lending Library, but struggled during the trial to find any books I wanted to read, so cancelled it.
  • jonesMUFCforever
    jonesMUFCforever Posts: 28,898 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    sharon7 wrote: »
    What price comparison website do you use? Thanks :j
    I use price runner a lot but there are others out there :beer:
  • Haffiana
    Haffiana Posts: 733 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    I have had it since it started, but I do a lot of online shopping, and also ordering stuff for our home-based businesses. As mentioned by rosalie lavender, the whole family uses the Prime account independently, at various delivery addresses.

Does it make me buy more from Amazon? Actually I don't think it does in the slightest, but it most certainly makes me pick Amazon over Amazon market place sellers, when the price is very similar.

I think the delivery service is excellent - I can order things knowing I will have them the next day, which is great for consumables like printer ink, light bulbs, batteries etc etc. The largest item I have bought is a (really very nice!) set of garden furniture, the most expensive would be a camera. I have bought bras, cat food, dog wormer, shoes, a rug, plant food, a silk scarf, a kettle - well, you get the idea! In every case I bought from Amazon because they were the cheapest.
  • tobyjug
    tobyjug Posts: 291 Forumite
    Options
    I really value the service, especially at Christmas. I find I buy everyday things now because of the service . The odd thing takes 2 days but they usually say it when you order. We are doing up a house and quite often will order sand paper etc to arrive by the next morning. Excellent service wouldn't be without it .
  • southerndave
    Options
    Interesting and mix replies, thanks! I will have to review exactly what we have been buying and how much and assess if it is worth it. I must admit, I do like the next day delivery and it was great during the trail to order and then get something next day. I tend to shop last minute, so suits me but was unsure of the cost. Hmm, will think on!
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.5K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.6K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.6K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.2K Life & Family
  • 248.2K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure