Dentists advice on toothpaste please.Janina.

Options
Hi, could anyone who has the correct knowledge settle a "discussion" for mel ease.its about Janina enzymatic toothpaste, recently recommended by India Knight in the Sunday Times.
I think it is ok to use because it is using digestive enzymes to attack plaque and stains, daughter says, no way, it's too abrasive, don't use it!
Just to add, my teeth are not too bad, but a bit darker than they used to be, I also have two crowns,ceramic ones.i also realise that no toothpaste is a substitute for a good brushing technique and regular flossing!
Norn Iron Club member 473

Comments

• Toothsmith
    Toothsmith Posts: 10,074 Forumite
    First Post Name Dropper First Anniversary
    Options
    I don't think it's particularly abrasive (Not sure) but it's certainly WAYYYYYY overpriced!

It is NOT 5x better than a tube of Colgate Total, yet it is 5x dearer!
    How to find a dentist.
    1. Get recommendations from friends/family/neighbours/etc.
    2. Once you have a short-list, VISIT the practices - dont just phone. Go on the pretext of getting a Practice Leaflet.
    3. Assess the helpfulness of the staff and the level of the facilities.
    4. Only book initial appointment when you find a place you are happy with.
  • Artytarty
    Artytarty Posts: 2,642 Forumite
    First Post Combo Breaker First Anniversary
    Options
    Cheers Toothsmith! So not very MSE then but I wonder if tis effective? I would guess that no amount of enzyme action or even bleach is going to lighten a crown or veneer!
    Norn Iron Club member 473
  • Toothsmith
    edited 31 July 2013 at 6:36PM
    Options
    No toothpaste will ever whiten a tooth. They simply aren't allowed to contain an ingredient strong enough to do the job!

They <might> be able to remove a bit of light staining, but all 'whitening' toothpastes are a bit of a con - even the Colgate one!

And you're right - even proper whitening at the dentists will not whiten anything false like a crown, veneer or white filling. But - the dentist should tell you that before doing thee treatment! Your teeth can still be whitened, but you would need to know that if you had such things, they might need replacing afterwards to match the new shade.
    How to find a dentist.
    2. Once you have a short-list, VISIT the practices - dont just phone. Go on the pretext of getting a Practice Leaflet.
  • londondent
    londondent Posts: 66 Forumite
    Options
    Janina is a decent toothpaste, but will certainly not give you a dazzling white smile. it is good at removing surface staining, and I believe it has a lower abrasive value than most whitening toothpastes.
    My old hygienist used to swear by it, although I personally didn't like the taste. and yes, it is very dear. I wouldn't recommend using any whitening toothpaste for long term use.
  • captaincool
    Options
    Toothsmith wrote: »
    No toothpaste will ever whiten a tooth. They simply aren't allowed to contain an ingredient strong enough to do the job!

They <might> be able to remove a bit of light staining, but all 'whitening' toothpastes are a bit of a con - even the Colgate one!

And you're right - even proper whitening at the dentists will not whiten anything false like a crown, veneer or white filling. But - the dentist should tell you that before doing thee treatment! Your teeth can still be whitened, but you would need to know that if you had such things, they might need replacing afterwards to match the new shade.

Thanks for posting this!!
    Courage is an angel that makes the difference between a good life and a great life.;)
  • MrsE_2
    MrsE_2 Posts: 24,162 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    londondent wrote: »
    Janina is a decent toothpaste, but will certainly not give you a dazzling white smile. it is good at removing surface staining, and I believe it has a lower abrasive value than most whitening toothpastes.
    My old hygienist used to swear by it, although I personally didn't like the taste. and yes, it is very dear. I wouldn't recommend using any whitening toothpaste for long term use.

Doesn't abrasive equal good whitening?
    I used to swear by Rembrandt, I'm using pearl drops at the minute, but Rembrandt is better.
  • Toothsmith
    Options
    Abrasive equals wearing your teeth away!

You only have a couple of mm of enamel, and it doesn't grow back!

Underneath the enamel is the softer, yellower, sensitive dentine. So the closer you get to that, the more yellow and the more sensitive your teeth will get. Dentine is also very porous, so it gets stained very easily, and stained dentine is quite hard to do anything about - fixing that usually involves a drill!

So, an abrasive toothpaste <might> be OK at scrubbing a bit of stain off a tooth, but used with any degree of frequency and you will only be doing harm.
    How to find a dentist.
  • londondent
    londondent Posts: 66 Forumite
    Options
    As toothsmith said. use too much abrasive whitening toothpaste and youll have thinner enamel and yellower teeth.

Using it for a short time is fine as it will remove surface stain, but long term, it will scratch the enamel and stains will build up quicker.
  • penrhyn
    penrhyn Posts: 15,215 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Was at the dentist today, we both use Colgate sensitive pro relief, good for the receding gums.
    Used to use Sensodyne but find the Colgate better.
    That gum you like is coming back in style.
  • Sue_S
    Sue_S Posts: 302 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    Janina is on Groupon today for £7.49.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts