IMPORTANT: Please make sure your posts do not contain any personally identifiable information (both your own and that of others). When uploading images, please take care that you have redacted all personal information including QR codes, number plates and reference numbers.

PCN advice required

Options
hellboy1979
hellboy1979 Posts: 5 Forumite
edited 31 July 2013 at 4:11PM in Parking tickets, fines & parking
Hello,

I have been going through the posts made in traffic fines and penalties regarding the PCN's. I sincerely seek some help!

Last April 1st, We were shopping in a retail park after parking the car in their parking area. The parking area is monitored by Parking eye.

There were signposts that the free parking is allowed only for first three hours. But as we were shopping, I forgot about the time limit and exceeded by an hour or so.

Initially I thought of ignoring but I was renting a car from a rental company and they charged me £30 as admin fee since they received the PCN and then they had to pass on my info to PE. So the only way I can get that £30 back is by getting that PCN cancelled.

Also we shopped heavily (£100+), so I thought If i appealed the PCN with proof of purchases it would be a cake walk.

So I sent the proof of purchases to PE through an email and got their auto-response that they will try to sort out in 14 working days.

But after 2 months I got a letter from PE that I haven't provided any evidence or appealed against the PCN within the given 14 days so I now have the option of paying the parking fine or go for an appeal with POPLA and they provided a POPLA reference no.

In the meantime when I received the PCN, I was able to contact the retail park manager and I have explained him my case. He said if I can send PE the proof of purchases they should withdraw the PCN. But after that I was never able to catch him on phone.

But luckily I got a reply when i sent him an email about the PE rejection of my appeal, he said he will contact PE and revert back to me as soon as he hears something from PE.

Now what are my options?

Can you please advice?

Thanks

Comments

• Guys_Dad
    Guys_Dad Posts: 11,025 Forumite
    First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    Well, I would approach PE relatively nicely and point out to them that they may have made a mistake. Enclose the proof (their automated reply) and say that it seems unfair to reject your claim as a result of a slip up at their end and, if you were being picky, they didn't stick to the BPA POPLA timescales.

Suggest that you both made a mistake and maybe call it quits. Keep it friendly for now - it might just work and you have nothing to lose

Also keep on with the store manager as well just in case.
  • hellboy1979
    Options
    Hi Guysdad,

Thanks for the reply. But do you think If i write to them again in an email, they will respond to my request?

I just wonder how is it my mistake? If we spent some reasonable money on the retail park that should take care of the overstaying. Isn't it?

Thanks again!
  • Guys_Dad
    First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    I their eyes and in your words, you made a mistake. You wrote "There were signposts that the free parking is allowed only for first three hours. But as we were shopping, I forgot about the time limit and exceeded by an hour or so.".

What I am suggesting is trying for a compromise. A win-win. You give a little - they give a little.

Who cares as long as you get a result.

I am not saying you will get one, but on balance at this stage you can try. If you let them know that they were out of time and you have their email as proof, they may take a business decision to save £27 at POPLA.
  • hellboy1979
    Options
    Hi Guysdad,

Thanks a lot for the advice, I shall write them as suggested.

Meanwhile if they choose to ignore my appeal again, I should stand a fair chance with my POPLA appeal. Isn't it?

Cheers
  • Guys_Dad
    First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    Hi Guysdad,

Thanks a lot for the advice, I shall write them as suggested.

Meanwhile if they choose to ignore my appeal again, I should stand a fair chance with my POPLA appeal. Isn't it?

Cheers

I would hold on for 24 hours in case anyone else chips in, but I am pretty sure that you would win easily at POPLA. But don't do it on your own - come back here and continue this thread if you have to
    go to POPLA. If they cancel it, keep us in the picture too.
  • hellboy1979
    Options
    All,
    After the intervention of the retail park manager, the ticket has now been canceled by PE.
    Special thanks to Guysdad!
    Cheers
  • Coupon-mad
    Coupon-mad Posts: 132,424 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post Photogenic First Anniversary
    Options
    All,
    After the intervention of the retail park manager, the ticket has now been canceled by PE.
    Special thanks to Guysdad!
    Cheers

Nice result! :T
    PRIVATE 'PCN'? DON'T PAY BUT DON'T IGNORE IT (except N.Ireland).
    CLICK at the top of this/any page where it says:
    Forum Home»Motoring»Parking Tickets Fines & Parking - read the NEWBIES THREAD
  • hellboy1979
    Options
    Thanks Coupon-Mad, you guys are awesome!!
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.5K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.7K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.6K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.2K Life & Family
  • 248.3K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure