How much are your bills?

Options
I'm trying to do a budget for a house so I can figure out how much mortgage repayments I can afford.

I'm going to be buying a 4 bed house somewhere in Bedfordshire/Buckinghamshire.

Two adults will be living there.

I was just wondering if anyone could give a rough estimate of how much I can expect to pay for gas/electric/water?

Also how much buildings and contents insurance would roughly be?

Thanks

Comments

• HappyMJ
    HappyMJ Posts: 21,115 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    Could be anything. I'd aim for not much more than £250 a month for all the utilities. It really depends on your lifestyle as to what it wil be exactly. How often do you cook from scratch for instance...how warm do you like the house to be? Do you use a dryer or will be using the line to dry your clothes? The b+c insurance you can just onto any comparison website and do a quote.
    :footie:
    :p Regular savers earn 6% interest (HSBC, First Direct, M&S) :p Loans cost 2.9% per year (Nationwide) = FREE money. :p
  • chili1496
    chili1496 Posts: 167 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    we live in kent in a 2 bedroom property 2 adults and our 17yr old son.
    i pay south east water £9 per month, they are the fresh water people we are on a water meter but never watch what we use, ie we drink our bath water :)
    we also pay southern water £22 per month they deal with all the waste water again we don't ration how many times we flush :) we are never left owing either of these companys at the end of the year.
  • psychic_teabag
    psychic_teabag Posts: 2,865 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    I am one of two adults living in a 4-bed house somewhere in Bucks.

I think combined building/contents insurance was about £180 for the year (from Tesco - £220 but they gave us a £40 gift card).

Water is £53 per month - we really ought to get a meter, but have never got round to it.

Gas/electric D/D is £143 / month but I'm pretty sure they're taking too much and I'm building up a bit of credit at that rate.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure