We've changed the name of this board from 'Greenfingered MoneySaving' to simply 'Gardening'. This is to help make it easier to find for the horticulturally inclined. The URL remains unchanged for the time being, so all links to the board are unaffected.

Petrol strimmer line feed query

Options
aliasojo
aliasojo Posts: 23,053 Forumite
First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
Our strimmers have always been electric jobs and every one of them has been a pain with regards to the line feed function.

The line always gets stuck which means taking the spool out, loosening the line and feeding it through the holes manually. I've only ever had one model years ago that I didn't need to do this every time the line broke.

I now need to buy a petrol strimmer and am anxious to avoid the same problem. Do petrol strimmers suffer the same issue?

Are some brands better than others with regards to this?
Herman - MP for all! :)

Comments

• sobie
    sobie Posts: 356 Forumite
    Options
    If the line continually gets stuck try a thiner line, the one you are using may be too thick. Small electric trimmers should have white line in them which is 1.3mm.
  • aliasojo
    aliasojo Posts: 23,053 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    sobie wrote: »
    If the line continually gets stuck try a thiner line, the one you are using may be too thick. Small electric trimmers should have white line in them which is 1.3mm.

The lines used were the ones supplied with the strimmers.

However, that doesn't matter now as we need to buy a new petrol one anyway. :)

So back to original question...do petrol strimmers suffer from the same issues?
    Herman - MP for all! :)
  • lardlikesdogs
    Options
    aliasojo wrote: »
    The lines used were the ones supplied with the strimmers.

However, that doesn't matter now as we need to buy a new petrol one anyway. :)

So back to original question...do petrol strimmers suffer from the same issues?

No

if it has been set up correct then you will not have a problem just bump feed and go
    Pure Dog Loving
  • jonewer
    jonewer Posts: 1,485 Forumite
    Options
    Sounds like crappy cheap strimmer line to me. Bin it and buy a good named brand.
    Mortgage debt - [STRIKE]£8,811.47 [/STRIKE] Paid off!
  • Davesnave
    Davesnave Posts: 34,741 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary Photogenic First Post
    Options
    The trouble is, life and machinery are never simple. ;)

Any bump feed strimmer/brushcutter which 'works' wastes as much line as it uses, as by the nature of its use, it gets bumped unintentionally. That feeds more line, which is then sliced off by the metal blade in the safety housing......:(

Once I realised this, I found I could save £££ on the expensive line I use with my petrol brushcutter. I simply replaced the spring in the bump mechanism with a slightly cut-down medicine measuring cup, which is the same diameter.

So, my machine no longer bump feeds, but as I'm using 3mm line, it's usually 10 minutes between stops to manually do the feed, just like you had to do on your electric. After ten minutes it's usually time for a pause anyway, especially as the machine is running flat out.

I now get through just 1 pack of line a year, instead of two or three, which at about £16 a throw, is a good saving. :D

Don't forget that with petrol machines there's often the option of blades, which are better for some work.
  • Blackjack_Davy
    Options
    Davesnave wrote: »
    So, my machine no longer bump feeds, but as I'm using 3mm line, it's usually 10 minutes between stops to manually do the feed, just like you had to do on your electric. After ten minutes it's usually time for a pause anyway, especially as the machine is running flat out.

I now get through just 1 pack of line a year, instead of two or three, which at about £16 a throw, is a good saving. :D

You wouldn't last long in a commercial environment, and we used to refill the strimmer head every few days :)
    Blessed are the geeks, for they shall inherit the Internet.
  • Davesnave
    Davesnave Posts: 34,741 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary Photogenic First Post
    Options
    You wouldn't last long in a commercial environment, and we used to refill the strimmer head every few days :)

Forgive me, I thought I was on Moneysavingexpert.com :rotfl:
  • wellused
    wellused Posts: 1,678 Forumite
    Options
    I recently bought a petrol strimmer to use on the allotment and haven't had any trouble with the line feed, the line spool has emptied after around 2 hours use but I bought a two pack of line spools for £8 in the sale. I have noticed however that the spools can be refilled with line which can be bought for around £2 for 20 metres.
  • spacey2012
    spacey2012 Posts: 5,836 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    If the strimmer has a straight shaft, you can swap the head for a dessert eagle strimmer head , these take pre-cut lengths of line, most councils and highways use them with the diamond edge line cut to lengths from a real .
    Each cut of line can last days at a time and changing it take seconds.

Only trouble is with the diamond edge line is it is called that as it is diamond shaped and very sharp , they say on the packet it will chop your foot off if you make a mistake.
    Be happy...;)
  • welovemarmite
    Options
    wellused wrote: »
    I recently bought a petrol strimmer to use on the allotment and haven't had any trouble with the line feed, the line spool has emptied after around 2 hours use but I bought a two pack of line spools for £8 in the sale. I have noticed however that the spools can be refilled with line which can be bought for around £2 for 20 metres.

What model did you buy? Our petrol one has the same problem as the opening posts electric one, and on top of that is smoking like a chimney. No one will service it so need to replace it. But want to replace it with something that won't wind up my husband!!
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure